Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Feroz Buksh, Accused Store Robber With Imitation Gun Cries For Hot Food, Money For Bill

    Feroz Buksh, Accused Store Robber With Imitation Gun Cries For Hot Food, Money For Bill
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — A man who broke down in tears while robbing a store told a clerk he needed hot food, cigarettes and money to pay bills, court has heard.

    Feroz Buksh, Accused Store Robber With Imitation Gun Cries For Hot Food, Money For Bill

    Jurors at Luka Rocco Magnotta trial into fourth day of deliberations

    Jurors at Luka Rocco Magnotta trial into fourth day of deliberations
    MONTREAL — Jurors at Luka Rocco Magnotta's murder trial are into their fourth day of deliberations.

    Jurors at Luka Rocco Magnotta trial into fourth day of deliberations

    Protesters demand male dentistry students be expelled over sexist Facebook posts

    Protesters demand male dentistry students be expelled over sexist Facebook posts
    HALIFAX — Hundreds of people marched in silence to the office of Dalhousie University's president to demand the expulsion of dentistry students accused of posting misogynistic messages online.

    Protesters demand male dentistry students be expelled over sexist Facebook posts

    Top judge said naming courthouse for Danny Williams was inappropriate

    Top judge said naming courthouse for Danny Williams was inappropriate
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A top Newfoundland and Labrador judge raised concerns before a new courthouse was named after former premier Danny Williams, saying the move was inappropriate.

    Top judge said naming courthouse for Danny Williams was inappropriate

    B.C. Poultry Infected With Avian Flu Virus Never Before Seen In North America

    B.C. Poultry Infected With Avian Flu Virus Never Before Seen In North America
    VANCOUVER — Scientists say an avian flu virus that has resulted in the destruction of nearly 250,000 birds in British Columbia is affecting poultry in North America for the first time.

    B.C. Poultry Infected With Avian Flu Virus Never Before Seen In North America

    Saskatchewan senator apologizes for 'white man' comment directed at MP

    Saskatchewan senator apologizes for 'white man' comment directed at MP
    LA RONGE, Sask. — Senator Lillian Dyck is apologizing for suggesting an aboriginal Conservative MP from northern Saskatchewan was behaving like a "white man" during a debate in the Senate earlier this month.

    Saskatchewan senator apologizes for 'white man' comment directed at MP