Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    No bail hearing for Winnipeg woman accused of hiding dead babies in storage unit

    No bail hearing for Winnipeg woman accused of hiding dead babies in storage unit
    WINNIPEG — A woman accused of hiding the remains of six infants in a Winnipeg storage locker could spend the holidays behind bars after her bail hearing was delayed yet again.

    No bail hearing for Winnipeg woman accused of hiding dead babies in storage unit

    Lower gas prices help slow inflation rate to 2.0 per cent: Statistics Canada

    Lower gas prices help slow inflation rate to 2.0 per cent: Statistics Canada
    OTTAWA — A big drop in pump prices helped slow Canada's annual inflation rate last month to 2.0 per cent as it offset rising costs of other goods, says Statistics Canada.

    Lower gas prices help slow inflation rate to 2.0 per cent: Statistics Canada

    In Cuba, prisoner swap overshadows historic restoration of relations with U.S.

    In Cuba, prisoner swap overshadows historic restoration of relations with U.S.
    Amazingly, the restoration of diplomatic relations with the United States and the sea of potential consequences that opens up appeared not to be the biggest news story in Cuba.

    In Cuba, prisoner swap overshadows historic restoration of relations with U.S.

    Alberta's political earthquake has Tories, NDP considering federal fallout

    Alberta's political earthquake has Tories, NDP considering federal fallout
    OTTAWA — Federal Conservatives say they're gobsmacked over the political tectonic shifts in Alberta this week, but they don't have to reach too far into their own history to see parallels with the political pragmatism that's at play.

    Alberta's political earthquake has Tories, NDP considering federal fallout

    Computer Virus Infects B.C. Government Email Servers

    Computer Virus Infects B.C. Government Email Servers
    VICTORIA — A computer virus has forced the British Columbia government to shut down its email system, cutting off the information flow for much of the day.

    Computer Virus Infects B.C. Government Email Servers

    Kenneth Knutson Accused Of Shooting Mountie In Kamloops Now Faces Six Charges

    Kenneth Knutson Accused Of Shooting Mountie In Kamloops Now Faces Six Charges
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — Two new charges have been laid against a man accused of shooting a Mountie in Kamloops, B.C., during a traffic stop.

    Kenneth Knutson Accused Of Shooting Mountie In Kamloops Now Faces Six Charges