Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Manitoba fire commissioner says inspections can de done without evictions

    Manitoba fire commissioner says inspections can de done without evictions
    WINNIPEG — Manitoba's fire commissioner says First Nations could do informal housing inspections for fire hazards without mass evictions.

    Manitoba fire commissioner says inspections can de done without evictions

    Replica of HMS Erebus bell centrepiece of Franklin expedition exhibit

    Replica of HMS Erebus bell centrepiece of Franklin expedition exhibit
    TORONTO — A 3D printed replica of the brass bell from the recently found Franklin expedition ship HMS Erebus is the centrepiece of an exhibit opened Thursday at the Royal Ontario Museum.

    Replica of HMS Erebus bell centrepiece of Franklin expedition exhibit

    U.S. incentive program may alter the challenging economics of Ebola vaccines

    U.S. incentive program may alter the challenging economics of Ebola vaccines
    TORONTO — Earlier this week, U.S. President Barack Obama signed into law a little piece of legislation that may significantly change the economics of making drugs or vaccines to protect against Ebola and other viruses in its deadly family.

    U.S. incentive program may alter the challenging economics of Ebola vaccines

    Woman who helped ducks on side of Montreal-area highway gets 90-day prison term

    Woman who helped ducks on side of Montreal-area highway gets 90-day prison term
    MONTREAL — A woman who caused a fatal traffic accident after stopping her car to help ducks on a busy highway has been sentenced to 90 days in prison.

    Woman who helped ducks on side of Montreal-area highway gets 90-day prison term

    Toronto Eaton Centre shooter found guilty of second-degree murder

    Toronto Eaton Centre shooter found guilty of second-degree murder
    TORONTO — A man accused in a shooting which sparked pandemonium at Toronto's landmark Eaton Centre was found guilty Wednesday of second-degree murder in the deaths of two men who were killed at the popular downtown mall two years ago.

    Toronto Eaton Centre shooter found guilty of second-degree murder

    Funeral Service Held For 8-year-old Teagan Batstone Found Dead In Trunk Of Car in Surrey

    Funeral Service Held For 8-year-old Teagan Batstone Found Dead In Trunk Of Car in Surrey
    WHITE ROCK, B.C. — A Metro Vancouver community has gathered to say goodbye to an eight-year-old girl who was found dead in the trunk of a car.

    Funeral Service Held For 8-year-old Teagan Batstone Found Dead In Trunk Of Car in Surrey