Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Peladeau likely to dominate Quebec politics in 2015 with PQ leadership run

    Peladeau likely to dominate Quebec politics in 2015 with PQ leadership run
    MONTREAL — Quebec media mogul Pierre Karl Peladeau's journey to become the father of a country begins in earnest in 2015.

    Peladeau likely to dominate Quebec politics in 2015 with PQ leadership run

    B.C. Man Accused Of Attacking Three Women Facing Multiple Charges

    B.C. Man Accused Of Attacking Three Women Facing Multiple Charges
    PORT COQUITLAM, B.C. — A B.C. man is facing multiple charges for allegedly attacking three women, stealing a purse and vehicle and showing up at one victim's home with a firearm.

    B.C. Man Accused Of Attacking Three Women Facing Multiple Charges

    CF-18s hit targets as Kurds launch offensive to break Sinjar mountain siege

    CF-18s hit targets as Kurds launch offensive to break Sinjar mountain siege
    OTTAWA — Canadian warplanes have been in action in Iraq once again, bombing enemy targets ahead of Kurdish Peshmerga forces who are pushing to break the siege in the Sinjar mountains.

    CF-18s hit targets as Kurds launch offensive to break Sinjar mountain siege

    Supreme Court of Canada will not hear Rwandan war criminal's appeal

    Supreme Court of Canada will not hear Rwandan war criminal's appeal
    OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear the appeal of the first person ever found guilty under Canada's war-crimes legislation.

    Supreme Court of Canada will not hear Rwandan war criminal's appeal

    First Nations Band Threatens Legal Action Over B.C. Mine Tailings Spill

    First Nations Band Threatens Legal Action Over B.C. Mine Tailings Spill
    VANCOUVER — A First Nations band is threatening legal action against a mining company and the B.C. government over a taillings spill in the southern Interior.

    First Nations Band Threatens Legal Action Over B.C. Mine Tailings Spill

    Jurors at Luka Rocco Magnotta trial into third day of deliberations

    Jurors at Luka Rocco Magnotta trial into third day of deliberations
    MONTREAL — Jurors at Luka Rocco Magnotta's murder trial are into their third day of deliberations.

    Jurors at Luka Rocco Magnotta trial into third day of deliberations