Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Kandahar Combat Commander Named As Canada's Next Defence Chief

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Apr, 2015 12:36 PM
    OTTAWA — A former combat commander who has led operations at home and overseas has been appointed to the country's top military job.
     
    Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Defence Minister Jason Kenney say Lt.-Gen. Jonathan Vance will be the next chief of defence staff, replacing the soon-to-retire Gen. Tom Lawson.
     
    Harper says Vance takes over at an important time, when the country is part of a coalition fighting extremists in Iraq and Syria and as measures are being taken to reassure eastern European allies in the face of Russian aggression.
     
    "I'm sure Gen. Vance will do a tremendous job for this vital national institution," said the prime minister, who noted that the transition will not take place for a couple of months.
     
    Vance twice led the army’s task force in Kandahar during the Afghan war.
     
    Lawson, a former fighter pilot, announced earlier this year that he would step down after two-and-a-half years in the job.
     
    Vance currently serves as the country’s joint operations commander and has been the face of high-profile public briefings on the combat mission against the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant.
     
    Aside from twice being task force commander in Kandahar – in 2009 and again in 2010 – Vance has also served in other key posts, including head of the strategic joint staff, the military’s nerve centre in Ottawa.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Pakistan Must Help Accused Terrorist Jahanzeb Malik Held In Canadian Isolation: Lawyer

    Pakistan Must Help Accused Terrorist Jahanzeb Malik Held In Canadian Isolation: Lawyer
    TORONTO — A Pakistani man accused of planning bomb attacks on downtown Toronto needs help from his country given that he is likely to be kept in solitary confinement for the foreseeable future, his lawyer said Thursday.

    Pakistan Must Help Accused Terrorist Jahanzeb Malik Held In Canadian Isolation: Lawyer

    Medical Expert Says 6-year-old Boy's Injuries Comparable To High-Speed Car Crash

    Medical Expert Says 6-year-old Boy's Injuries Comparable To High-Speed Car Crash
    REGINA — A medical expert says a six-year-old boy who was beaten to death by an older child on a Saskatchewan reserve had injuries similar to those seen in high-speed car crashes or a 10-metre fall.

    Medical Expert Says 6-year-old Boy's Injuries Comparable To High-Speed Car Crash

    Omar Khadr Lawyer In Court For Alberta Teen Charged With Terror Offences

    Omar Khadr Lawyer In Court For Alberta Teen Charged With Terror Offences
    EDMONTON — A lawyer who is part of the legal team representing Omar Khadr is also defending a 17-year-old Alberta boy charged with terror-related offences.

    Omar Khadr Lawyer In Court For Alberta Teen Charged With Terror Offences

    Scotiabank CEO Calls For End To Bickering, Indecision Over Energy Infrastructure

    Scotiabank CEO Calls For End To Bickering, Indecision Over Energy Infrastructure
    Scotiabank's chief executive is calling on Canadian leaders to end the "inter-provincial bickering" and "political indecision" that is delaying several energy infrastructure projects.

    Scotiabank CEO Calls For End To Bickering, Indecision Over Energy Infrastructure

    Kelowna Judge Orders Destruction Of Pitbull After 'Savage' Attack On Owner

    Kelowna Judge Orders Destruction Of Pitbull After 'Savage' Attack On Owner
    A Kelowna court heard the male dog named Loki had a long history of running loose and being aggressive when he bit Jennifer Heitzmann on her arms and legs and broke a bone in her hand last November.

    Kelowna Judge Orders Destruction Of Pitbull After 'Savage' Attack On Owner

    Accused B.C. Terrorists John Nuttall Planned Distraction Bombing In Victoria Strip Club: Trial

    VANCOUVER — A B.C. court has heard that a man accused of plotting to blow up the provincial legislature proposed setting off explosives in a strip club washroom as a distraction from the main event.

    Accused B.C. Terrorists John Nuttall Planned Distraction Bombing In Victoria Strip Club: Trial