Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Feb, 2025 12:20 PM
  • Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, B.C., including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader.

RCMP previously said that Jarrod Bacon had been charged with aggravated assault, while another man named John Chasse faced an assault charge in connection with the Jan. 29 shooting that sent one person to hospital.

Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Bacon has been identified by police and in the courts as one of the leaders of the Red Scorpions — a drug trafficking group tied to a deadly gang war in the province.

Spokeswoman Damienne Darby says in a statement that the stay of proceedings against the men occurred on Feb. 14.

She says the service does not disclose the reasons for such decisions, but the prosecutor reviewed the investigative materials and charge approval standard was no longer met.

"In these circumstances a stay of proceedings is the appropriate course of action," she says in the statement.

MORE National ARTICLES

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident
Two Vancouver police officers have been charged with assault related to an off-duty incident last December. Court records show Brian Hunt and Joshua Wong each face one count of assault over an offence alleged to have occurred on Dec. 16, 2023, in Vancouver.

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street
A City of Vancouver official says a huge crane that crashed down on a busy street will likely be removed in two days, after blocking the route for more than two weeks. Saul Schwebs says crews are "demolishing the crane, not salvaging it."

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says
A new Statistics Canada report says people with disabilities are twice as likely to live in food insecure households than those without disabilities. The report used data from the 2021 Canadian Income Survey and found 26.4 per cent of respondents with a disability experienced some level of food insecurity, compared to 12.5 per cent of people without disabilities.

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says

Patrols for fare evading transit riders

Patrols for fare evading transit riders
TransLink says it's boosting patrols for fare-evading transit riders.  The transit operator says it's begun a blitz to deter riders from freeloading on the transit system, aimed at lessening fare evasion by five-million-dollars a year. 

Patrols for fare evading transit riders

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'
The Calcite Creek fire in British Columbia's southern Interior is no longer considered a "wildfire of note," leaving three such blazes throughout the province. The BC Wildfire Service says two of those fires are classified as "being held," meaning they're expected to stay within their current or predetermined perimeters.

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'

Police allege Calgary man ran $1.3M Ponzi scheme centred on purported wine purchases

Police allege Calgary man ran $1.3M Ponzi scheme centred on purported wine purchases
Police in Calgary have accused a man of running a Ponzi scheme involving purported wine purchases. They say seven complainants have come forward reporting a total of $1.3 million in losses.

Police allege Calgary man ran $1.3M Ponzi scheme centred on purported wine purchases