Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Four Dead, Two Missing In Small Plane Crash In Quebec

The Canadian Press, 24 Aug, 2015 11:38 AM
    LES BERGERONNES, Que. — Quebec provincial police say four people are dead and two others are missing after a seaplane crashed on the province's North Shore.
     
    Police have said the Air Saguenay plane carrying six people went down in a wooded area on Sunday, six kilometres from the community of Bergeronnes.
     
    Surete du Quebec spokesman Jean Tremblay says a search is underway for the two who are missing.
     
    Provincial police say they were contacted Sunday afternoon and were told the plane could not be found.
     
    They say the wreckage was not accessible by road, and was located with the help of parachutists from the Canadian Armed Forces.
     
    The Transportation Safety Board has sent a team of investigators to the crash site, where they will determine the best way to reach the aircraft.
     
    Canadian Armed Forces search and rescue and Air Force personnel are aiding in the rescue and recovery efforts.
     
    Air Saguenay vice-president Jean Tremblay said the Beaver seaplane was taking part in a routine sightseeing flight departing from Lac Long in Tadoussac.
     
    Tremblay told The Canadian Press on Monday the flight was only supposed to last 20 minutes. It wasn't windy and visibility was clear on Sunday.
     
    "It was perfect conditions," Tremblay said, who offered his sympathies to families who lost loved ones in the crash.
     
    The pilot of the aircraft had more than 6,000 hours of flying experience — all with Air Saguenay, where he'd worked for the past 14 years.
     
    Tremblay said the Beaver seaplane had about 25,000 hours of flight time.
     
    The airline upgraded its security system after another of its seaplanes crashed in bad weather in 2010, killing four of the six people on board.
     
    It describes itself as an airline which provides charters for fishing, hunting and mining exploration.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Court Hearing To Decide Whether $432-million Settlement For Victims Can Go Ahead

    Court Hearing To Decide Whether $432-million Settlement For Victims Can Go Ahead
    A Quebec Superior Court justice will begin hearing arguments Monday that could determine whether more than $431 million can be distributed to victims and creditors of the Lac-Megantic, Que.

    Court Hearing To Decide Whether $432-million Settlement For Victims Can Go Ahead

    Ex-Senate Reform Allies Mystified By PM's Seeming Lack Of Plan For Senate

    Ex-Senate Reform Allies Mystified By PM's Seeming Lack Of Plan For Senate
    The prime minister distanced himself from the damning revelations in last week's audit of senators' expenses, explaining that "the Senate is an independent 

    Ex-Senate Reform Allies Mystified By PM's Seeming Lack Of Plan For Senate

    Whale-Watching Guide: Orca Calf Spotted Near Tofino, B.C., Was Born This Week

    Whale-Watching Guide: Orca Calf Spotted Near Tofino, B.C., Was Born This Week
    TOFINO, B.C. — A newborn orca spotted off the coast of Tofino, B.C., looks healthy and adventurous, according to a whale-watching guide and researcher.

    Whale-Watching Guide: Orca Calf Spotted Near Tofino, B.C., Was Born This Week

    Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne Suggests Regional Co-operation On Environment

    QUEBEC — The premiers of Quebec and Ontario are meeting with the governors of eight U.S. states today as part of a three-day conference on the future of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence region.

    Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne Suggests Regional Co-operation On Environment

    Crews Partly Contain Wildfire South Of Lytton, B.C., On Third Day Of Blaze

    Crews Partly Contain Wildfire South Of Lytton, B.C., On Third Day Of Blaze
    The B.C. Wildfire Management Branch says no significant growth in the fire occurred Saturday morning and the blaze is now about 12.8 square kilometres in size.

    Crews Partly Contain Wildfire South Of Lytton, B.C., On Third Day Of Blaze

    Jane Fonda Boosts Opposition To Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain Pipeline

    Jane Fonda Boosts Opposition To Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain Pipeline
    In 1970, Jane Fonda was arrested while marching with indigenous people. Forty-five years later, the Academy Award-winning actress says she's willing to be placed in handcuffs again while defending British Columbia's coast from oil tankers.

    Jane Fonda Boosts Opposition To Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain Pipeline