Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 May, 2022 01:43 PM
  • Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans

OTTAWA - NDP caucus chair Jenny Kwan says she is seeking urgent answers about what has happened to the applications of 2,900 Afghans who helped the Canadian military.

Kwan is demanding Immigration Minister Sean Fraser explain why the Afghans, whose credentials were checked and verified by Canada's military, have not had their applications to come to Canada approved.

Defence chief Gen. Wayne Eyre told a parliamentary committee Monday night that the Defence Department had checked and verified the credentials of 3,800 Afghans, including interpreters, who supported the Canadian military.

But the committee heard from Eyre and Bill Matthews, deputy defence minister, that only 900 of them have had their applications to come to Canada accepted so far by the Immigration Department.

Kwan said she is planning to pursue the matter vigorously with the department as the lives of Afghans who helped Canadian troops are in danger from the Taliban.

She also plans to ask if the Immigration Department has lost files of Afghan interpreters who want to come to Canada, saying the government has "betrayed them."

"With every single passing day, the risks are heightened for Afghans," Kwan said. "And for those who served this country and their loved ones, it is wrong that the government has left them behind."

She said the Taliban is hunting down interpreters and their families, and she wants Canada to issue a one-time travel document so vulnerable Afghans do not have to raise their heads to apply for passports.

It is dangerous for Afghans who helped Canadian Forces to apply to the Taliban authorities for passports, Kwan said.

"When you are being hunted down and you are trying to hide from the Taliban, you can't just walk into the office run by the Taliban and say, 'Can you issue travel documents, issue passports for my entire family?'" she said.

"The minute you do that, you are putting a red flag right on top of your head to be targeted."

The Immigration Department was not available for immediate comment.

MORE National ARTICLES

VISAFF Opens November 11th with Red carpet Gala

VISAFF Opens November 11th with Red carpet Gala
VISAFF will run from November 11-14 and showcase over 60 films, including 6 features, 5 documentaries, over 30 short films along with various panel discussions and workshops.

VISAFF Opens November 11th with Red carpet Gala

B.C. wants small drug amounts decriminalized

B.C. wants small drug amounts decriminalized
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Sheila Malcolmson says substance use and addiction is a public health issue and not a criminal one, which is why the province believes removing possession penalties will help more people get the care they need.

B.C. wants small drug amounts decriminalized

1,370 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1,370 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There are 4,668 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 199,107 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 436 individuals are in hospital and 140 are in intensive care. 

1,370 COVID19 cases over 3 days

B.C. surgeries cancelled due to unvaccinated staff

B.C. surgeries cancelled due to unvaccinated staff
Health Minister Adrian Dix says there are currently 3,325 health-care workers across the province who have not been immunized against COVID-19 in violation of the government's proof-of-vaccination policy for health-care workers.

B.C. surgeries cancelled due to unvaccinated staff

VPD contends with violent crime, disorder during hectic Halloween

VPD contends with violent crime, disorder during hectic Halloween
VPD received 4,550 calls for service during the weekend, including 2,418 which were placed to 9-1-1. That’s a 10 per cent increase in 9-1-1 calls, compared to the same weekend last year.

VPD contends with violent crime, disorder during hectic Halloween

Coroner confirms 595 heat-related deaths in B.C.

Coroner confirms 595 heat-related deaths in B.C.
A statement from the coroner and the Ministry of Public Safety says all the deaths are being investigated and reports on each fatality should be complete by early 2022.

Coroner confirms 595 heat-related deaths in B.C.