Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 May, 2022 01:43 PM
  • Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans

OTTAWA - NDP caucus chair Jenny Kwan says she is seeking urgent answers about what has happened to the applications of 2,900 Afghans who helped the Canadian military.

Kwan is demanding Immigration Minister Sean Fraser explain why the Afghans, whose credentials were checked and verified by Canada's military, have not had their applications to come to Canada approved.

Defence chief Gen. Wayne Eyre told a parliamentary committee Monday night that the Defence Department had checked and verified the credentials of 3,800 Afghans, including interpreters, who supported the Canadian military.

But the committee heard from Eyre and Bill Matthews, deputy defence minister, that only 900 of them have had their applications to come to Canada accepted so far by the Immigration Department.

Kwan said she is planning to pursue the matter vigorously with the department as the lives of Afghans who helped Canadian troops are in danger from the Taliban.

She also plans to ask if the Immigration Department has lost files of Afghan interpreters who want to come to Canada, saying the government has "betrayed them."

"With every single passing day, the risks are heightened for Afghans," Kwan said. "And for those who served this country and their loved ones, it is wrong that the government has left them behind."

She said the Taliban is hunting down interpreters and their families, and she wants Canada to issue a one-time travel document so vulnerable Afghans do not have to raise their heads to apply for passports.

It is dangerous for Afghans who helped Canadian Forces to apply to the Taliban authorities for passports, Kwan said.

"When you are being hunted down and you are trying to hide from the Taliban, you can't just walk into the office run by the Taliban and say, 'Can you issue travel documents, issue passports for my entire family?'" she said.

"The minute you do that, you are putting a red flag right on top of your head to be targeted."

The Immigration Department was not available for immediate comment.

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals, Tories raised record sums last quarter

Liberals, Tories raised record sums last quarter
The Liberals say more than 57,100 contributors coughed up $7.65 million in the three months between July and September. The party says both numbers mark a record for the Liberals.

Liberals, Tories raised record sums last quarter

B.C. opens 'first of its kind' addictions centre

B.C. opens 'first of its kind' addictions centre
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Sheila Malcolmson says the 105-bed Red Fish Healing Centre is the first of its kind and will allow patients to be treated for mental health and addictions together.

B.C. opens 'first of its kind' addictions centre

584 COVID19 cases for Friday

584 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 4,982 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 197,396 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 436 individuals are in hospital and 156 are in intensive care.

584 COVID19 cases for Friday

Indoor mask mandate extended

Indoor mask mandate extended
British Columbia’s provincial health officer has extended the mask mandate that requires masks be worn in all indoor public spaces throughout B.C. The previous order, which was set to expire on Oct. 31, 2021, has been extended to continue to slow the transmission of COVID-19.

Indoor mask mandate extended

Man shot at Whalley residence: Surrey RCMP

Man shot at Whalley residence: Surrey RCMP
On October 29, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. the Surrey RCMP received a report that a male was shot at a residence in the 11100 block of 136th Street. Upon attendance, police located a male suffering from a possible gunshot injury.    

Man shot at Whalley residence: Surrey RCMP

More details of travel vaccine mandate announced

More details of travel vaccine mandate announced
Residents who leave their remote communities to access essential services need not be vaccinated to board a plane, Omar Alghabra told a news conference outside Toronto International Pearson Airport.

More details of travel vaccine mandate announced