Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 May, 2022 01:43 PM
  • Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans

OTTAWA - NDP caucus chair Jenny Kwan says she is seeking urgent answers about what has happened to the applications of 2,900 Afghans who helped the Canadian military.

Kwan is demanding Immigration Minister Sean Fraser explain why the Afghans, whose credentials were checked and verified by Canada's military, have not had their applications to come to Canada approved.

Defence chief Gen. Wayne Eyre told a parliamentary committee Monday night that the Defence Department had checked and verified the credentials of 3,800 Afghans, including interpreters, who supported the Canadian military.

But the committee heard from Eyre and Bill Matthews, deputy defence minister, that only 900 of them have had their applications to come to Canada accepted so far by the Immigration Department.

Kwan said she is planning to pursue the matter vigorously with the department as the lives of Afghans who helped Canadian troops are in danger from the Taliban.

She also plans to ask if the Immigration Department has lost files of Afghan interpreters who want to come to Canada, saying the government has "betrayed them."

"With every single passing day, the risks are heightened for Afghans," Kwan said. "And for those who served this country and their loved ones, it is wrong that the government has left them behind."

She said the Taliban is hunting down interpreters and their families, and she wants Canada to issue a one-time travel document so vulnerable Afghans do not have to raise their heads to apply for passports.

It is dangerous for Afghans who helped Canadian Forces to apply to the Taliban authorities for passports, Kwan said.

"When you are being hunted down and you are trying to hide from the Taliban, you can't just walk into the office run by the Taliban and say, 'Can you issue travel documents, issue passports for my entire family?'" she said.

"The minute you do that, you are putting a red flag right on top of your head to be targeted."

The Immigration Department was not available for immediate comment.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vatican says Pope Francis willing to visit Canada

Vatican says Pope Francis willing to visit Canada
The Vatican said in a statement that the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops invited the Pope to travel to Canada in the "context of the long-standing pastoral process of reconciliation with Indigenous peoples."

Vatican says Pope Francis willing to visit Canada

Vancouver police highlight random assaults

Vancouver police highlight random assaults
Vancouver police said in a series of posts on social media last week that there were 1,555 "unprovoked, stranger assaults" involving 1,705 victims reported between Sept. 1, 2020, and Aug. 31 this year.

Vancouver police highlight random assaults

Public asked to keep eye out for missing 21-year-old Delta resident Anmol Jagat

Public asked to keep eye out for missing 21-year-old Delta resident Anmol Jagat
“Anmol’s family is extremely concerned for his safety, and says disappearing in such a manner is not in his character,” says Cris Leykauf, spokesperson for Delta Police. She notes the family only moved to North Delta three months from outside BC, so Anmol is not that familiar with the area.    

Public asked to keep eye out for missing 21-year-old Delta resident Anmol Jagat

'Solemn day' for B.C. health-care system

'Solemn day' for B.C. health-care system
Adrian Dix said 1,369 of the unvaccinated workers are in the Interior region of the province, which has a total of about 126,000 health-care workers, and that overall vaccination rates are also low in Northern health.

'Solemn day' for B.C. health-care system

457 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

457 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 4,829 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 195,646 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 390 individuals are in hospital and 155 are in intensive care.

457 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

B.C. offers rebates for vehicle charging stations

B.C. offers rebates for vehicle charging stations
Bruce Ralston, the minister of energy, mines and low carbon innovation, says B.C.'s charger rebate program will receive $10 million as part of the budget this year to support installations of the charging stations.

B.C. offers rebates for vehicle charging stations