Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Aug, 2023 11:50 AM
  • Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Photo courtesy of Facebook (Zack Muise)

The young Ontario firefighter who died last week in British Columbia has been identified as Zak Muise in an online obituary and a tribute by the firefighting contractor he worked for.

Big Cat Wildfire shared a photo of Muise in his uniform and called him a "vital member" of one of its crews.

The 25-year-old died Friday as he helped battle the massive Donnie Creek wildfire in northeastern B.C.

RCMP have said he was killed when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

A brief online obituary posted on the website of a Waterford, Ont., funeral home in the name of his family says Muise is survived by his parents and five older siblings.

It says Muise was "loved by many," and the family is grateful to all firefighters and other first responders "who are still fighting."

It says a funeral is scheduled for later this month in Simcoe, Ont., and that a public memorial in B.C. is also being planned.

A fundraiser for the Canadian Critical Incident Stress Foundation has been launched in Muise's honour.

The organization provides support, education and training for first responders, veterans and their families and runs a camp for families and children coping with loss.

Muise was a contracted firefighter working to fight the nearly 6,000-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze in the province's northeast — the biggest wildfire in B.C.'s history.

Muise's Instagram page shows him enjoying time outdoors with family and friends, camping, snowboarding and golfing.

Muise is the fourth Canadian firefighter to die this year fighting wildfires, and the second to die in B.C.

On July 13, 19-year-old Devyn Gale died while combating a wildfire near her hometown of Revelstoke, B.C., after she was struck by a falling tree.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of fallen firefighters," Muise's obituary says.

MORE National ARTICLES

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries
The insurance corporation says in a news release that Nicolas Jimenez has been with them for almost 20 years. Board chair Catherine Holt says Jimenez has made many contributions during his tenure, including the “remarkable transformation” of the public auto insurer.

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas
The British Columbia government is promising up to $90 million over three years to support new industrial and manufacturing projects in communities hurt by the downturn in the forestry industry. Premier David Eby made the announcement in Prince George, where Canfor Pulp Products said last week it was closing the pulp line at its mill, eliminating 300 jobs by the end of the year.

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table
On December 1st, 2022, a search warrant was executed on a suspected gaming house inside of a residential home in the 6000 block of Skaha Crescent, Richmond. Investigators also learned that one of the caretakers of the house and one of the card dealers were non-Canadian citizens and subject to deportation.  

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table

Vancouver Police investigate Downtown Eastside homicide

Vancouver Police investigate Downtown Eastside homicide
Officers were called to an SRO hotel near East Hastings and Carrall Street shortly before 7 a.m. today and discovered a man who was deceased. The victim has not been identified.

Vancouver Police investigate Downtown Eastside homicide

Former Uber driver convicted of sexual assault

Former Uber driver convicted of sexual assault
Mohammed Abu Sayed, 69, was given a six-month conditional sentence that includes two months house arrest, followed by 18 months of probation. During that time, he is banned from operating any ride-share vehicle, taxi, limousine or any other mode of transportation for remuneration. 

Former Uber driver convicted of sexual assault

Alcohol industry pushes back against new guidance

Alcohol industry pushes back against new guidance
Canada's alcohol industry is pushing back against a call for mandatory warning labels on booze containers as suggested in new guidance that also greatly limits the recommended amount Canadians should be drinking. CJ Hélie, president of Beer Canada, said the industry is voluntarily informing people to drink responsibly so there's no need for any labels.    

Alcohol industry pushes back against new guidance