Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Aug, 2023 11:50 AM
  • Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Photo courtesy of Facebook (Zack Muise)

The young Ontario firefighter who died last week in British Columbia has been identified as Zak Muise in an online obituary and a tribute by the firefighting contractor he worked for.

Big Cat Wildfire shared a photo of Muise in his uniform and called him a "vital member" of one of its crews.

The 25-year-old died Friday as he helped battle the massive Donnie Creek wildfire in northeastern B.C.

RCMP have said he was killed when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

A brief online obituary posted on the website of a Waterford, Ont., funeral home in the name of his family says Muise is survived by his parents and five older siblings.

It says Muise was "loved by many," and the family is grateful to all firefighters and other first responders "who are still fighting."

It says a funeral is scheduled for later this month in Simcoe, Ont., and that a public memorial in B.C. is also being planned.

A fundraiser for the Canadian Critical Incident Stress Foundation has been launched in Muise's honour.

The organization provides support, education and training for first responders, veterans and their families and runs a camp for families and children coping with loss.

Muise was a contracted firefighter working to fight the nearly 6,000-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze in the province's northeast — the biggest wildfire in B.C.'s history.

Muise's Instagram page shows him enjoying time outdoors with family and friends, camping, snowboarding and golfing.

Muise is the fourth Canadian firefighter to die this year fighting wildfires, and the second to die in B.C.

On July 13, 19-year-old Devyn Gale died while combating a wildfire near her hometown of Revelstoke, B.C., after she was struck by a falling tree.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of fallen firefighters," Muise's obituary says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB
The lone pilot, who was also the owner of E & B Helicopters Ltd., died when the chopper slammed into a building and burst into flames. No one was hurt on the ground.   

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military
Chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre officially opened the military’s doors to all permanent residents in October, in direct response to an unprecedented personnel crisis that has left the Armed Forces scrambling for new recruits. Defence Minister Anita Anand publicly announced the measure, which went into effect on Oct. 18, on Monday.  

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military

Liberals introduce bill to strengthen child care

Liberals introduce bill to strengthen child care
The Liberal government brought in a national child-care plan that would cut daycare fees by an average of 50 per cent by the end of this year — and down to an average of $10 per day by 2026.

Liberals introduce bill to strengthen child care

One dead, one arrested in Surrey stabbing

One dead, one arrested in Surrey stabbing
When officers arrived, they found a woman with life-threatening injuries. She was rushed to hospital, where she died of her injuries. Police found and arrested one suspect.

One dead, one arrested in Surrey stabbing

Chen exits B.C. cabinet, citing trauma recovery

Chen exits B.C. cabinet, citing trauma recovery
Chen says in a statement released by the office of Premier David Eby on Tuesday that she asked him not to consider her in his cabinet shuffle, while she focuses on herself and her son and takes "time and space to heal."

Chen exits B.C. cabinet, citing trauma recovery

Former Kelowna Mayor, Colin Basran, charged with sexual assault: BC Prosecution Service

Former Kelowna Mayor, Colin Basran, charged with sexual assault: BC Prosecution Service
The police investigation was conducted by the Kelowna RCMP and reviewed by the Nelson Police Department, the statement says. Basran is set to make his first appearance related to the charge in Kelowna provincial court on Jan. 24.

Former Kelowna Mayor, Colin Basran, charged with sexual assault: BC Prosecution Service