Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Garbage-hauling Ship Arrives In Canada After Journey From Philippines

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Jul, 2019 01:11 AM

    VANCOUVER — An infamous load of Canadian trash that had been rotting in the Philippines for more than five years has come full circle, arriving by ship at a port south of Vancouver on Saturday morning.


    The Anna Maersk arrived at Deltaport near the Tsawwassen ferry terminal just after 7 a.m., carrying nearly 70 containers and 1,500 tons of Canadian refuse.


    The ship began unloading shortly afterwards, and the trash will be held at the terminal before it can be disposed of at an incineration facility in Burnaby, B.C, according to Canadian officials.


    Just over a hundred containers of Canadian garbage arrived in the Philippines in 2013 and 2014, exported by a private Canadian company and falsely labelled as plastics for recycling.


    Inspections later revealed that much of what was inside the containers was regular trash, including dirty diapers, kitchen waste and electronic items.


    The garbage set off a political row between the two countries, culminating in a threat by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte to send it back to Canada himself.


    "Prepare a grand reception," he said. "Eat it if you want to."


    Canada is a signatory of the 1992 Basel Convention, which requires informed consent before a developed country can export hazardous waste to a developing country, and in 2016 a Philippine court ordered the garbage returned to Canada.


    Initially, Canada tried to negotiate with the Philippines to dispose of the trash locally, and a portion of it was, but local environmental groups objected.


    Canada missed the president's May 15 deadline to remove the rest of the garbage and Duterte recalled the Philippines' ambassador and consuls from Canada.


    The garbage left June 1 and was transferred onto the Anna Maersk on June 8 in Taiwan for the voyage home across the Pacific Ocean.


    The cost to Canada is $1.14 million for shipping and another $375,000 for the garbage to be burned in the Metro Vancouver incinerator.


    "The Government of Canada is looking at ways to hold the responsible parties to account," a spokesperson from the Minsitry of Environment and Climate Change.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Get Ready For The Grind: Grouse Grind Opens For Season On Friday, May 3

    The mountainous trail is a 2.9-kilometre trail up the face of Grouse Mountain and is also referred to as 'Mother Nature's Stairmaster.'

    Get Ready For The Grind: Grouse Grind Opens For Season On Friday, May 3

    Hootsuite Cuts Jobs In Shift Of Priorities For The Social Media Management Business

    Hootsuite Cuts Jobs In Shift Of Priorities For The Social Media Management Business
     HootSuite Inc. says it has reduced its staffing levels as part of a reorganization of its social media management business. 

    Hootsuite Cuts Jobs In Shift Of Priorities For The Social Media Management Business

    Relatives To Launch Private Search For Plane Missing In B.C. Since 2017

    CRANBROOK, B.C. — Family members of a young couple missing in southeastern British Columbia for nearly two years hope a renewed search will bring some closure.    

    Relatives To Launch Private Search For Plane Missing In B.C. Since 2017

    Cat Freed From Edmonton Sinkhole, Other Feline Believed To Have Escaped

    Cat Freed From Edmonton Sinkhole, Other Feline Believed To Have Escaped
    A homeowner who has been on watch since discovering two cats trapped in a sinkhole on her property says at least one is free after 12 days.

    Cat Freed From Edmonton Sinkhole, Other Feline Believed To Have Escaped

    Quebec Government Seeks Answers From Youth Protection After 7-Year-Old Girl Dies

    The young girl died Tuesday in hospital, one day after being found at a home in Granby, Que.

    Quebec Government Seeks Answers From Youth Protection After 7-Year-Old Girl Dies

    One In Five Newly Certified Medical Specialists Unemployed In 2017, Study Shows

    One In Five Newly Certified Medical Specialists Unemployed In 2017, Study Shows
    A study released Wednesday by the professional association that oversees Canadian medical specialists' education found that 19 per cent of specialists didn't immediately find work upon completing their certification.

    One In Five Newly Certified Medical Specialists Unemployed In 2017, Study Shows