Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver man found dead in burned vehicle in Langley, death connected to gang conflict

Vancouver man found dead in burned vehicle in Langley, death connected to gang conflict
Police say in a statement it's believed the incident was targeted and the victim was 36-year-old Christopher Roy of Vancouver.

Vancouver man found dead in burned vehicle in Langley, death connected to gang conflict

Cities want green buses over subways: CIB head

Cities want green buses over subways: CIB head
Canada Infrastructure Bank chief executive Ehren Cory says the shift mirrors other changes in the planning of projects the agency was set up to help fund like electricity grid projects.

Cities want green buses over subways: CIB head

'No more excuses' not to get vaccine: Trudeau

'No more excuses' not to get vaccine: Trudeau
The Prime Minister said the vaccines are effective and safe, having passed Canada's world-class standard for medical approvals.

'No more excuses' not to get vaccine: Trudeau

Unseasonable heat returns to B.C., Prairies

Unseasonable heat returns to B.C., Prairies
Special weather statements are posted across most of southern B.C. and Vancouver Island, but Environment Canada says they could be upgraded to warnings as conditions peak between Wednesday and Saturday.

Unseasonable heat returns to B.C., Prairies

Western fires creating their own weather systems

Western fires creating their own weather systems
Scientists have been tracking the storms since May. The first one was seen this season in Manitoba, Fromm said in an interview Monday.

Western fires creating their own weather systems

267 COVID19 cases over 3 days

267 COVID19 cases over 3 days
80.6% (3,736,651) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 61.3% (2,840,194) have received their second dose.

267 COVID19 cases over 3 days