Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Mary Simon installed as new Governor General

Mary Simon installed as new Governor General
Simon officially became Canada's 30th Governor General, and the first Indigenous person to hold the role, during a ceremony Monday morning.As she took her seat at the head of the Senate chamber, her husband, Whit Fraser, turned to her, took a small bow and then sat down next to Simon.

Mary Simon installed as new Governor General

Experts forecast health effects of wildfire smoke

Experts forecast health effects of wildfire smoke
While the longer-term health effects of exposure to wildfire smoke have yet to be thoroughly studied, linkages between disease, death and air pollution in general offer hints, said Dr. Courtney Howard, an emergency physician in Yellowknife.

Experts forecast health effects of wildfire smoke

B.C. wildfires: Cooler weather provides some help

B.C. wildfires: Cooler weather provides some help
Karley Desrosiers, fire information officer with the BC Wildfire Service, said 275 fires were burning Friday, down from about 300 earlier in the week.

B.C. wildfires: Cooler weather provides some help

112 COVID19 cases for Friday

112 COVID19 cases for Friday
B.C. is reporting 112 new cases of COVID-19, including six epi-linked cases, for a total of 148,842 cases in the province.

112 COVID19 cases for Friday

Hiker missing for two weeks in B.C. park found

Hiker missing for two weeks in B.C. park found
A statement from Squamish RCMP says the hiker missing in the park for two weeks was found safe on Thursday.  A search for 33-year-old Daniel Ring began July 9.

Hiker missing for two weeks in B.C. park found

Former B.C. clerk pleads not guilty to five counts

Former B.C. clerk pleads not guilty to five counts
The charges came after an RCMP investigation into spending by senior staff on personal expenses at the provincial legislature.

Former B.C. clerk pleads not guilty to five counts