Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Woman bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park
A statement posted on social media says a woman suffered minor injuries when she was bitten on the leg while jogging along the seawall on Wednesday night.

Woman bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park

VPD recovers dozens of bikes in stolen property investigation

VPD recovers dozens of bikes in stolen property investigation
“On July 14, officers executed multiple search warrants, recovering 27 bikes worth about $45,000 from storage lockers on East Pender Street.”

VPD recovers dozens of bikes in stolen property investigation

Canada to help Afghans who aided military, embassy

Canada to help Afghans who aided military, embassy
The move follows weeks of pressure from Canadian veterans and others worried that Afghans who supported Canada are in danger as the Taliban makes rapid gains across the country.

Canada to help Afghans who aided military, embassy

Assault at an Abbotsford mall lands one man in hospital

Assault at an Abbotsford mall lands one man in hospital
A dark coloured Tesla drove south out of the mini mall parking lot at 32868 South Fraser Way and travelled east through the lane around the same time the as the assault. It is possible the occupants may have seen the suspect.

Assault at an Abbotsford mall lands one man in hospital

Surrey RCMP are appealing to the public to help finding missing senior Ajaib Singh Grewal

Surrey RCMP are appealing to the public to help finding missing senior Ajaib Singh Grewal
UPDATE: Surrey RCMP say he has been found safe and sound and thank everyone for their assistance.

Surrey RCMP are appealing to the public to help finding missing senior Ajaib Singh Grewal

B.C. eyeing Alert Ready system for wildfires, heat

B.C. eyeing Alert Ready system for wildfires, heat
Alert Ready is a Canada-wide system that allows government officials to issue public safety alerts through major television and radio broadcasters, as well as compatible wireless devices.

B.C. eyeing Alert Ready system for wildfires, heat