Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Sajjan told military to provide aide in Vancouver

Sajjan told military to provide aide in Vancouver
Sajjan also wanted the military to upgrade the position less than two months after Maj. Greg McCullough was hired because the minister wanted even more support in his home riding in Vancouver, according to the notes, though that request did not become reality.

Sajjan told military to provide aide in Vancouver

Church vandalism on the rise in Vancouver: police

Church vandalism on the rise in Vancouver: police
Sgt. Steve Addison says 13 incidents have occurred since early June involving threats to set fires, graffiti, paint splattering and rocks being thrown through windows at Christian churches in the city.

Church vandalism on the rise in Vancouver: police

89 COVID19 cases for Thursday

89 COVID19 cases for Thursday
80.2% (3,717,929) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 56.9% (2,636,377) have received their second dose.

89 COVID19 cases for Thursday

Police seek public’s help to identify robbery suspect

Police seek public’s help to identify robbery suspect
Over three consecutive days from July 15th to 17th, the suspect entered three separate businesses, made threats and demanded money.

Police seek public’s help to identify robbery suspect

Burnaby RCMP say vehicle collision results in 2 dead

Burnaby RCMP say vehicle collision results in 2 dead
This evening, at 5:20 p.m., Burnaby RCMP frontline officers responded to a report of a two-vehicle collision at Duthie Avenue and Montecito Drive. Two people have died as a result of this collision. There were no other injuries.

Burnaby RCMP say vehicle collision results in 2 dead

Canadians frustrated they can't cross land border

Canadians frustrated they can't cross land border
Canadians, however, are seeing no similar relaxing of rules. On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security extended its COVID-19 restrictions on travel by land from Canada until at least Aug 21. Air travel to the U.S. is permitted with certain conditions.

Canadians frustrated they can't cross land border