Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

4th Canadian identified in Florida condo collapse

4th Canadian identified in Florida condo collapse
Miami-Dade police say a body pulled from a collapsed condominium building in South Florida has been identified as Anastasia Gromova, from Montreal.

4th Canadian identified in Florida condo collapse

Winds fuel B.C. wildfires, force more evacuations

Winds fuel B.C. wildfires, force more evacuations
The Regional District of Central Kootenay has ordered more than 170 properties evacuated along a 10-kilometre strip of the Slocan River north of Appledale, near the western flank of the two-week old Trozzo wildfire.

Winds fuel B.C. wildfires, force more evacuations

Indians to benefit from Canada's family reunification programme

Indians to benefit from Canada's family reunification programme
A record number of 40,000 immigrant families will be allowed to sponsor their parents and grandparents to bring them to Canada in 2021.

Indians to benefit from Canada's family reunification programme

Judge issues reasons for rejecting Meng evidence

Judge issues reasons for rejecting Meng evidence
Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes ruled July 9 against admitting the evidence but her reasons for the judgment were not released until Wednesday. 

Judge issues reasons for rejecting Meng evidence

78 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

78 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
81.1% (3,507,707) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 59.0% (2,552,325) have received their second dose.

78 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

VPD investigates homicide in Strathcona

VPD investigates homicide in Strathcona
Two suspects fled the scene and have not been located. VPD investigators believe the incident was targeted.

VPD investigates homicide in Strathcona