Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Experts concerned about vaccine complacency

Experts concerned about vaccine complacency
Canada's demand for COVID-19 vaccines is slowly dropping, experts say, and they warn those waiting to see whether cases spike before getting their jabs are wasting time the body needs to build sufficient immunity.

Experts concerned about vaccine complacency

Body found inside burned vehicle in Langley: IHIT

Body found inside burned vehicle in Langley: IHIT
Once the fire was extinguished, a body was located inside the burned red Ford F-150 pickup. The area surrounding the scene will be cordoned off for a significant amount of time.

Body found inside burned vehicle in Langley: IHIT

Man shot near Brownsville Pub at Old Yale Rd: Surrey RCMP

Man shot near Brownsville Pub at Old Yale Rd: Surrey RCMP
At approximately 1:14 a.m. on July 19, 2021, Surrey RCMP Frontline responded to a report of an injured man under the Patullo Bridge. Frontline officers located the man suffering from apparent gunshot wounds.

Man shot near Brownsville Pub at Old Yale Rd: Surrey RCMP

Extreme weather likely to continue: Wilkinson

Extreme weather likely to continue: Wilkinson
Wildfires are raging out of control, forcing residents out of their homes, in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Extreme weather likely to continue: Wilkinson

Election won't stall EI review, minister says

Election won't stall EI review, minister says
Qualtrough says consultations will start next month on how the decades-old system can be modernized after its shortcomings were exposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Election won't stall EI review, minister says

More evacuations, alerts due to B.C. wildfires

More evacuations, alerts due to B.C. wildfires
The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary declared a local state of emergency and ordered 122 properties evacuated, while residents in another 304 properties have been put on alert as the 20-square kilometre Nk'Mip Creek wildfire sweeps east, parallel to the U.S. border.

More evacuations, alerts due to B.C. wildfires