Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. region calls for more wildfire resources

B.C. region calls for more wildfire resources
A regional politician in British Columbia's Interior is calling for more support amid a "dire" wildfire situation that he said has filled every available hotel with fleeing evacuees and stretched local security resources beyond their capacity.

B.C. region calls for more wildfire resources

Vancouver Police arrest suspect after security guard stabbed

Vancouver Police arrest suspect after security guard stabbed
VPD responded to multiple 9-1-1 calls just before 10 a.m. Monday after a security guard at a drug store near Thurlow and Davie Street was stabbed multiple times while trying to detain a shoplifter. VPD officers performed first aid until paramedics arrived and transported the victim to hospital.

Vancouver Police arrest suspect after security guard stabbed

156 COVID19 cases over 3 days

156 COVID19 cases over 3 days
79.9% (3,701,843) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 53.2% (2,464,201) have received their second dose.

156 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Canada is extending its ban on direct flights to India until at least August 21

Canada is extending its ban on direct flights to India until at least August 21
Canada has extended the ban on incoming passenger flights from India for another month til August 21, 2021. The federal government is not renewing the travel ban for Pakistan. 

Canada is extending its ban on direct flights to India until at least August 21

Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens can enter Canada Aug. 9, rest of world Sept. 7

Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens can enter Canada Aug. 9, rest of world Sept. 7
Officials say the 14-day quarantine requirement will be waived beginning the second week of August for eligible travellers who are currently residing in the United States and have received a full course of a COVID-19 vaccine approved for use in Canada.

Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens can enter Canada Aug. 9, rest of world Sept. 7

Canada to receive 7.1 million COVID-19 vaccines

Canada to receive 7.1 million COVID-19 vaccines
The federal government is expecting to receive about 7.1 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines this week, as it adjusts its distribution strategy amid waning vaccination rates and substantial supply. The new deliveries will include about 3.1 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and four million doses of Moderna.

Canada to receive 7.1 million COVID-19 vaccines