Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack
The statement says one of the animals was found close to the site where the child was bitten on the head and neck at around dusk on Monday.

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says
Prof. Sarah Beaulieu of the University of the Fraser Valley says the search has covered less than a hectare and there is another 65 hectares to search. Beaulieu says the investigation also has evidence from those who were as young as six at the time being woken in the night to dig graves.

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak
In a rare departure from his usual deference to powerful member countries, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said getting access to raw data had been a challenge for the international team that traveled to China earlier this year to investigate the source of COVID-19. The first human cases were identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan.

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak

B.C. fire 'wake-up call' to take precautions: TSB

B.C. fire 'wake-up call' to take precautions: TSB
A wildfire in Lytton, B.C., during historically high temperatures points to a serious need to prevent similar occurrences, says the chairwoman of the Transportation Safety Board, which is investigating the possibility that a freight train could have been linked to the disaster.

B.C. fire 'wake-up call' to take precautions: TSB

Macklem: BoC will respond if inflation too hot

Macklem: BoC will respond if inflation too hot
Tiff Macklem says the central bank largely expects higher prices right now are temporary and the inflation rate will fall back to the bank's two-per-cent target as the economy opens further.

Macklem: BoC will respond if inflation too hot

Wildfires prompt evacuation orders, alerts in B.C.

Wildfires prompt evacuation orders, alerts in B.C.
Evacuation orders affecting more than 1,400 properties are posted for 10 of the 26 fires currently listed by the B.C. Wildfire service as potentially threatening or highly visible.

Wildfires prompt evacuation orders, alerts in B.C.