Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

France impatient with Canada's closed border

France impatient with Canada's closed border
The Canadian border remains closed to foreigners, with a few exceptions, and will be until at least July 21. Ottawa has extended the closure, month after month, since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020.

France impatient with Canada's closed border

BoC cuts growth forecast for 2021, holds rate

BoC cuts growth forecast for 2021, holds rate
 The central bank said it expects the economy to grow 6.0 per cent in 2021, down from its previous forecast of 6.5 per cent. However, the bank now expects growth of 4.6 per cent in 2022, up from its earlier forecast of 3.7 per cent.

BoC cuts growth forecast for 2021, holds rate

Feds rejecting more migrants' applications: data

Feds rejecting more migrants' applications: data
The rejection rate for permanent residency applications on humanitarian and compassionate grounds has risen sharply over the past couple of years, according to recently released figures.    

Feds rejecting more migrants' applications: data

Specialized rescue team to recover body

Specialized rescue team to recover body
A statement from the RCMP says the body was found late Tuesday night as members of a specialized urban search and rescue crew from Vancouver were able to enter a building beside the construction site.

Specialized rescue team to recover body

Toddler bitten by coyote in Stanley Park

Toddler bitten by coyote in Stanley Park
A two-year-old girl is recovering from bite wounds after she was attacked by a coyote while walking through Stanley Park, in Vancouver.

Toddler bitten by coyote in Stanley Park

Full steam ahead for expanded Richmond Hospital

Full steam ahead for expanded Richmond Hospital
The cost is approximately $860.8 million and will be shared by the provincial government through Vancouver Coastal Health and the Richmond Hospital Foundation.

Full steam ahead for expanded Richmond Hospital