Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

More than 160 unmarked graves found at B.C. residential school site: First Nation

More than 160 unmarked graves found at B.C. residential school site: First Nation
There has been a series of recent discoveries using ground-penetrating radar of what are believed to be the remains of hundreds of children in unmarked graves at former residential schools.

More than 160 unmarked graves found at B.C. residential school site: First Nation

Vancouver police deal with confrontation involving a man with a sword

Vancouver police deal with confrontation involving a man with a sword
“One suspect had a sword and had reportedly crawled through the window of a ground-level apartment.” VPD officers responded immediately, and arrived moments later. That’s when the 29-year-old suspect tried to run away from police.

Vancouver police deal with confrontation involving a man with a sword

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire
Investigators in British Columbia have zeroed in on two areas of interest for the cause of a fire that razed the village of Lytton. RCMP said in a news release Monday that investigators completed a "fulsome search" of an area near Lytton that is about one kilometre in radius.

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire

Canada to aid Afghanistan after U.S. withdrawal

Canada to aid Afghanistan after U.S. withdrawal
U.S. President Joe Biden said last week the U.S. military operation in Afghanistan will end Aug. 31, nearly 20 years after the United States and its allies took down the Taliban government in Kabul.

Canada to aid Afghanistan after U.S. withdrawal

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire
A two-kilometre area in the nearby community of Boston Bar was also searched where physical and digital forensic evidence was collected and witnesses were interviewed, they said.

RCMP search of 2 areas of interest in Lytton fire

Power lines to Vancouver Island found damaged

Power lines to Vancouver Island found damaged
BC Hydro says it's working to repair a damaged underwater cable that delivers power to Vancouver Island. The utility says in a news release that its monitoring system detected a bulge and oil leak in one of its cables on July 8 that extends from the Sunshine Coast to Vancouver Island.

Power lines to Vancouver Island found damaged