Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Feb, 2022 05:34 PM
  • GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser

OTTAWA - Crowdfunding site GoFundMe will reimburse or redirect to charities the vast majority of the more than $10 million raised by demonstrators protesting COVID-19 measures in Ottawa, saying the event has become an occupation.

The move could deny participants a vital source of funds as Ottawa braces for a new wave of protesters slated to arrive in the national capital this weekend.

GoFundMe says it supports peaceful protest and that it believes that was the initial intention of the Ottawa event.

The crowdfunding site says it now has evidence from law enforcement that the demonstration "has become an occupation, with police reports of violence and other unlawful activity."

GoFundMe says the fundraiser has been removed from its platform because it violates the site's terms of service, which prohibit the promotion of violence and harassment.

An initial $1 million was released to organizers earlier this week but, given how things have evolved, GoFundMe will issue refunds to donors and work with organizers to send remaining funds to "credible and established charities."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

More than 1M COVID-19 doses wasted: survey

More than 1M COVID-19 doses wasted: survey
The survey suggests at least 1,016,669 doses have been rejected since vaccines first arrived last December. That's about 2.6 per cent of the entire supply delivered to the provinces and territories that provided their numbers.    

More than 1M COVID-19 doses wasted: survey

B.C. restaurants struggle with supply after floods

B.C. restaurants struggle with supply after floods
Restaurant operators in British Columbia's southern Interior are scrambling after flooding and landslides closed highways and rail lines, cutting businesses off from the supply chains they rely on. It's the latest hurdle after 20 months of struggles through the COVID-19 pandemic and a summer of smoky skies from wildfires that wiped out tourism.

B.C. restaurants struggle with supply after floods

Health Canada approves first COVID-19 vaccine for kids aged 5 to 11

Health Canada approves first COVID-19 vaccine for kids aged 5 to 11
Health Canada has approved the first COVID-19 vaccine for children aged five to 11 in Canada, and the first shipment of doses is expected to arrive in the country by Sunday. Pfizer and its partner BioNTech submitted a request for approval of a child-sized dose of its mRNA vaccine for COVID-19 on Oct. 18.

Health Canada approves first COVID-19 vaccine for kids aged 5 to 11

Merritt, B.C., evacuees seeking help in Kamloops

Merritt, B.C., evacuees seeking help in Kamloops
Barkad Khan wiped away tears Thursday as he made another "frustrating" visit to one of the emergency reception centres set up to help residents from Merritt, B.C., who have been forced from their homes due to unprecedented flooding. Khan said he and his family, wife Afreen and daughters Mahveen and Mahira, were given just 10 minutes to get out before their home was flooded.

Merritt, B.C., evacuees seeking help in Kamloops

Military helps ramp up flood relief efforts

Military helps ramp up flood relief efforts
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth has indicated that measures could include an order preventing passage for all but essential travellers as limited access is slowly restored along some highways.

Military helps ramp up flood relief efforts

Domtar mill in Kamloops to be sold with takeover

Domtar mill in Kamloops to be sold with takeover
The companies say the facility will be sold to resolve the Competition Commissioner of Canada's concerns about the implication on the purchase of wood fibre from the Thompson/Okanagan region in British Columbia.

Domtar mill in Kamloops to be sold with takeover