Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Feb, 2022 05:34 PM
  • GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser

OTTAWA - Crowdfunding site GoFundMe will reimburse or redirect to charities the vast majority of the more than $10 million raised by demonstrators protesting COVID-19 measures in Ottawa, saying the event has become an occupation.

The move could deny participants a vital source of funds as Ottawa braces for a new wave of protesters slated to arrive in the national capital this weekend.

GoFundMe says it supports peaceful protest and that it believes that was the initial intention of the Ottawa event.

The crowdfunding site says it now has evidence from law enforcement that the demonstration "has become an occupation, with police reports of violence and other unlawful activity."

GoFundMe says the fundraiser has been removed from its platform because it violates the site's terms of service, which prohibit the promotion of violence and harassment.

An initial $1 million was released to organizers earlier this week but, given how things have evolved, GoFundMe will issue refunds to donors and work with organizers to send remaining funds to "credible and established charities."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Calgary rugby player named as B.C. mudslide victim

Calgary rugby player named as B.C. mudslide victim
Last Monday, as flooding and mudslides ravaged British Columbia, Dean Hopkins got a distraught call from his close friend's wife, saying her husband was missing. That phone call kicked off several stress-filled days for Hopkins, which ended in tragedy when his old rugby buddy Steven Taylor was confirmed dead.    

Calgary rugby player named as B.C. mudslide victim

Keep wasted COVID-19 shots under 5 per cent: PHAC

Keep wasted COVID-19 shots under 5 per cent: PHAC
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it hopes to keep the number of wasted doses of COVID-19 vaccines in Canada under five per cent. That would amount to 3.7 million of the 73.7 million vaccines that have been distributed to provinces and territories, used by the federal government or held in the central vaccine inventory as of Nov. 18.

Keep wasted COVID-19 shots under 5 per cent: PHAC

Liberals set mid-Dec. deadline for aid approval

Liberals set mid-Dec. deadline for aid approval
Government House leader Mark Holland said a bill to approve billions in new aid for businesses still hurting from COVID-19 is one of four pieces of legislation the Liberals want passed by the middle of next month.

Liberals set mid-Dec. deadline for aid approval

Provinces detail COVID vaccine plans for children

Provinces detail COVID vaccine plans for children
Ontario parents can start making appointments for eligible kids ages five to 11 starting Tuesday. Doses are expected to be handed out as early as Thursday, the province said.

Provinces detail COVID vaccine plans for children

Lush to deactivate Instagram, Facebook accounts

Lush to deactivate Instagram, Facebook accounts
Lush says it is investing in new ways to connect and for now can still be found on Twitter and YouTube. The company says it previously tried this in 2019 with Lush's U.K. channels, but says its resolve has been strengthened by recent information.

Lush to deactivate Instagram, Facebook accounts

B.C. officials to provide update on flooding

B.C. officials to provide update on flooding
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth, along with the ministers of transportation and agriculture, are set to host a morning news conference. It comes after a weekend that saw soldiers arrive to help farmers save livestock and lend a hand in sandbagging efforts.

B.C. officials to provide update on flooding