Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2024 12:23 PM
  • Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

An advocacy group and others are making a final plea to the City of Vancouver to hold off on its second phase of a plan to clean up the site of a homeless camp in Crab Park. 

The group called Stop the Sweeps and residents of the encampment oppose the move, saying they're being offered small, fenced pens to live in while the city bulldozes their community, which includes a warming tent and kitchen.

An open letter that was sent to the city on Friday was signed by 450 individuals and groups, and says if the 40 tents at the site are moved it will be replaced by a managed tent city where no new residents will be allowed to live. It instead calls on the city not to destroy any structures and to allow park residents lead the cleanup themselves. 

Vancouver officials announced earlier this month that dozens of homeless people staying in the city's only legal encampment would have to temporarily move because the site had become unsafe and unhygienic.

Vancouver's deputy city manager Sandra Singh said the plan to shut down the section of park designated for the encampment this week will allow equipment to be brought in to clean piles of debris and unsafe structures.

Vancouver Park Board general manager Steve Jackson said Monday that the plan will go ahead as it follows about four weeks of consultations. 

"The cleanup and compliance process is now underway to ensure that those sheltering in the park have a cleaner and safer daytime area and that the area is better positioned to meet health and safety standards going forward," he said in a statement.

"We are asking all people remaining in the designated area to leave today while we ready the workzone for the upcoming work."

Jackson said that as of 9 a.m., about five people who were sheltering in the area had remained, down from about 30.

Residents living in the park have previously said discussions around leaving their homes should wait until a human rights complaint is heard that alleges they are not being provided with basic needs such as washrooms and electricity.

The federal housing advocate also took to social media Friday to call for a "pause" on the cleanup, urging the Park Board to "work in good faith with encampment residents on an approach that upholds their dignity, protects their belongings, and respects their security and human rights."

Marie-Josee Houle said she also shared her report, which was released last month and called for a national response for people living in homeless encampments, with the board.

"People living in encampments must play a leading role in decisions that affect them," she said in a post on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

The Crab Park encampment began in 2021 and remained in place a year later when a B.C. Supreme Court judge set aside eviction notices in part because the city didn't have enough indoor shelter spaces to accommodate those living in tents.

MORE National ARTICLES

Speaker apologizes for message to former interim Ontario Liberal leader at convention

Speaker apologizes for message to former interim Ontario Liberal leader at convention
House of Commons Speaker Greg Fergus apologized Monday, and is now facing calls to step down, after a video message he recorded to thank the departing interim leader of the Ontario Liberals was played at the provincial party's leadership convention on the weekend. Fergus delivered the apology in the House of Commons the day after Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer gave notice on Sunday that he planned to raise a question of privilege, given the Speaker is supposed to play an explicitly non-partisan role.

Speaker apologizes for message to former interim Ontario Liberal leader at convention

Small 3.1 earthquake shakes B.C.'s southern Okanagan region

Small 3.1 earthquake shakes B.C.'s southern Okanagan region
A magnitude 3.1 earthquake was felt in parts of the British Columbia Interior Monday afternoon. Earthquakes Canada says it happened at 2:07 p.m. about seven kilometres northwest of Oliver, which is 390 kilometres east of Vancouver.  

Small 3.1 earthquake shakes B.C.'s southern Okanagan region

Private forecasters see economic growth in B.C. slowing to 0.5 per cent next year

Private forecasters see economic growth in B.C. slowing to 0.5 per cent next year
Private-sector forecasters in British Columbia say they agree with the government's recent projection that economic growth will slow next year. The Economic Forecast Council, an independent 13-member group, met Finance Minister Katrine Conroy on Monday and told her they foresee 0.5-per-cent growth in 2024, slightly below Conroy's recent forecast of 0.7 per cent.

Private forecasters see economic growth in B.C. slowing to 0.5 per cent next year

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care
Eby says the model addresses people who repeatedly overdose in a way that respects their ability to make their own decisions and avoids the risk that they won't call for help if they think they might be held against their will.

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza
Canada has negotiated with Israel and Egypt to get approximately 600 people through the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt, as of the last update from Global Affairs. The only people who qualify are Canadians, Canadian permanent residents and people who meet the government's strict definition of an eligible family member, though there have been exceptions.

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock
Mounties in White Rock confirm shots were fired in the city earlier today. No injuries were reported, but police say they suspect the shooting was targeted. Police are investigating a motive.

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock