Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2024 12:23 PM
  • Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

An advocacy group and others are making a final plea to the City of Vancouver to hold off on its second phase of a plan to clean up the site of a homeless camp in Crab Park. 

The group called Stop the Sweeps and residents of the encampment oppose the move, saying they're being offered small, fenced pens to live in while the city bulldozes their community, which includes a warming tent and kitchen.

An open letter that was sent to the city on Friday was signed by 450 individuals and groups, and says if the 40 tents at the site are moved it will be replaced by a managed tent city where no new residents will be allowed to live. It instead calls on the city not to destroy any structures and to allow park residents lead the cleanup themselves. 

Vancouver officials announced earlier this month that dozens of homeless people staying in the city's only legal encampment would have to temporarily move because the site had become unsafe and unhygienic.

Vancouver's deputy city manager Sandra Singh said the plan to shut down the section of park designated for the encampment this week will allow equipment to be brought in to clean piles of debris and unsafe structures.

Vancouver Park Board general manager Steve Jackson said Monday that the plan will go ahead as it follows about four weeks of consultations. 

"The cleanup and compliance process is now underway to ensure that those sheltering in the park have a cleaner and safer daytime area and that the area is better positioned to meet health and safety standards going forward," he said in a statement.

"We are asking all people remaining in the designated area to leave today while we ready the workzone for the upcoming work."

Jackson said that as of 9 a.m., about five people who were sheltering in the area had remained, down from about 30.

Residents living in the park have previously said discussions around leaving their homes should wait until a human rights complaint is heard that alleges they are not being provided with basic needs such as washrooms and electricity.

The federal housing advocate also took to social media Friday to call for a "pause" on the cleanup, urging the Park Board to "work in good faith with encampment residents on an approach that upholds their dignity, protects their belongings, and respects their security and human rights."

Marie-Josee Houle said she also shared her report, which was released last month and called for a national response for people living in homeless encampments, with the board.

"People living in encampments must play a leading role in decisions that affect them," she said in a post on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

The Crab Park encampment began in 2021 and remained in place a year later when a B.C. Supreme Court judge set aside eviction notices in part because the city didn't have enough indoor shelter spaces to accommodate those living in tents.

MORE National ARTICLES

CSIS to probe B.C. office after allegations of rape, harassment and toxic workplace

CSIS to probe B.C. office after allegations of rape, harassment and toxic workplace
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service says the officer who was "implicated" in the allegations — made public in an investigation by The Canadian Press this week — was removed from the workplace. One officer says she was raped nine times in 2019 and 2020 by a senior colleague while in surveillance vehicles, and a second officer says she was later sexually assaulted by the same man despite bosses being warned not to pair him with young women.

CSIS to probe B.C. office after allegations of rape, harassment and toxic workplace

B.C. launching four-year study on how e-scooters fit into transport system

B.C. launching four-year study on how e-scooters fit into transport system
Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the scooters are part of an ongoing shift toward electric personal mobility that is cutting emissions. He says the review will make it easier for local governments to test the e-scooters on their own roads.   

B.C. launching four-year study on how e-scooters fit into transport system

Investigators called to Richmond after two people found dead, says police

Investigators called to Richmond after two people found dead, says police
Mounties in Richmond say they are investigating a homicide after discovering two bodies inside a home on Thursday. RCMP say officers were called to the home after receiving a report of a "suspicious circumstance." Police say they found two people dead inside.   

Investigators called to Richmond after two people found dead, says police

Lawyer in Ali murder trial says 13-year-old B.C. victim was not an 'innocent'

Lawyer in Ali murder trial says 13-year-old B.C. victim was not an 'innocent'
Ibrahim Ali's lawyer says the 13-year-old girl he's accused of murdering in a British Columbia park wasn't the "innocent" depicted in a "rose-coloured" portrayal by the Crown at trial. Kevin McCullough told the B.C. Supreme Court jury in his closing arguments that the version of the girl's lifestyle presented by the Crown is "at best, a partial picture" or "at worst, a lie."  

Lawyer in Ali murder trial says 13-year-old B.C. victim was not an 'innocent'

IIO investigating death of man at Abbotsford Regional Hospital

IIO investigating death of man at Abbotsford Regional Hospital
B-C's police watchdog has been called to investigate the death of a man who police say was threatening staff at Abbotsford Regional Hospital with a weapon. Police in the Fraser Valley city say officers responded to a 9-1-1 call reporting a man in possession of a weapon at the hospital yesterday afternoon. 

IIO investigating death of man at Abbotsford Regional Hospital

Unemployment is trending upward across much of Canada, but Province says the labour force remains steady

Unemployment is trending upward across much of Canada, but Province says the labour force remains steady
Unemployment is trending upward across much of Canada, but B-C's government says the provincial labour force remains steady.  Jobs Minister Brenda Bailey says Statistics Canada labour force survey shows B.C. gained nine thousand jobs last month.

Unemployment is trending upward across much of Canada, but Province says the labour force remains steady