Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hate-motivated graffiti at National War Memorial

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2020 06:23 PM
  • Hate-motivated graffiti at National War Memorial

Police in Ottawa are investigating an incident of hate-motivated graffiti at the National War Memorial.

The alleged incident happened last Friday night, when police say a man used a sharp object to engrave a hateful message on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Police say a man approached the area on a mountain bike just before 10 p.m., and left on the bike shortly afterward.

They say he was wearing a light-coloured sweater, dark pants, a dark toque and a black backpack.

The incident came just days ahead of the anniversary of a gunman opening fire at the National War Memorial on Oct. 22, 2014, killing ceremonial Honour Guard reservist Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, 24.

A spokeswoman for Ottawa police said it's not clear whether the incident is connected to, or motivated by, the attack.

"We don't know if the timing has anything to do with it. We don't know yet what motivated this person," Gagnon said in a phone interview.

The graffiti was removed within 24 hours, Gagnon said. She declined to describe it in any more detail, other than to say it was an image that targeted a particular group.

In a statement denouncing the vandalism, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan described the image as an "anti-Semitic symbol" but gave no other details.

Veterans Affairs Minister Lawrence MacAulay called the act "disgusting" and asked all Canadians to condemn it.

"This was not the vandalization of public property — it was the desecration of a site that stands as a permanent reminder of the memories and sacrifices of every single person who has fought and died in service of Canada," MacAulay said in a statement.

MORE National ARTICLES

Greens reinstate Meryam Haddad for leadership

Greens reinstate Meryam Haddad for leadership
The party's leadership committee says it has overturned its Tuesday decision to expel Haddad from the race for violating the party's rules.

Greens reinstate Meryam Haddad for leadership

Toronto councillor loses bid to keep position

Toronto councillor loses bid to keep position
Jim Karygiannis faced removal from office after exceeding a spending limit by about $25,000 during the 2018 election.

Toronto councillor loses bid to keep position

Ontario changes course on COVID-19 testing

Ontario changes course on COVID-19 testing
Testing for asymptomatic residents is available at up to 60 pharmacies by appointment starting on Friday.

Ontario changes course on COVID-19 testing

N.S. appeals court hears assisted death case

N.S. appeals court hears assisted death case
The woman is appealing last month's decision by Nova Scotia Supreme Court Justice Peter Rosinski who rejected her request for a temporary injunction against her husband.

N.S. appeals court hears assisted death case

CRA website remains limited after hack

CRA website remains limited after hack
The CRA is "working diligently to restore access to all services as quickly as possible," spokeswoman Sylvie Branch wrote in an email.

CRA website remains limited after hack

Eyewitnesses take stand in N.B. mass shooting trial

Eyewitnesses take stand in N.B. mass shooting trial
Foster, an eyewitness to the 2018 Fredericton mass shooting, took the stand Thursday in the murder trial of Matthew Raymond.

Eyewitnesses take stand in N.B. mass shooting trial