Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hearing for man accused of threatening PM put off

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2020 07:00 PM
  • Hearing for man accused of threatening PM put off

A Manitoba man accused of threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in an incident at Rideau Hall has had his case put off until Oct. 16.

Corey Hurren is accused of ramming his truck through a gate at the Governor General's official residence on July 2.

Police said the military reservist and sausage-maker was heavily armed when he used a pickup truck to break through a side gate at Rideau Hall and headed toward a residence on the grounds where Trudeau and his family also live.

Neither the Trudeaus nor Gov. Gen. Julie Payette were on the grounds at the time of the incident.

Hurren was remanded Friday after he made a brief appearance by video link in an Ottawa court.

He faces 21 weapons charges as well as one of threatening the prime minister and has not yet had a bail hearing.

Police said several guns and an illegal magazine were found in Hurren's truck after he was peacefully arrested.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada mulls global vaccine contribution

Canada mulls global vaccine contribution
President Donald Trump ended U.S. funding to the WHO in July because he says it is being unduly influenced by China and needs to be reformed.

Canada mulls global vaccine contribution

Vancouver home prices rose in August

Vancouver home prices rose in August
While the number of homes listed for sale increased to 12,803 in August from 12,083 in July, the housing supply is still below the 13,396 homes that were on the market this time last year.

Vancouver home prices rose in August

PM says safe supply key to fighting opioid crisis

PM says safe supply key to fighting opioid crisis
Trudeau says the government is heeding the advice of top public health officials, including B.C.'s provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, and Canada's chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam.

PM says safe supply key to fighting opioid crisis

Funeral leads to COVID warning in northern B.C.

Funeral leads to COVID warning in northern B.C.
A statement from the Nisga'a government says all those who attended a memorial, a funeral or settlement feast need to contact their community clinic.

Funeral leads to COVID warning in northern B.C.

WATCH: Darpan Special Feature-Back to school during COVID-19 with parents and teachers

WATCH: Darpan Special Feature-Back to school during COVID-19 with parents and teachers
DARPAN SPECIAL FEATURE: Students in the K to 12 school system in BC will be returning to school in September, but it will be a very unusual school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Darpan's social media host Ish Sharma reached out to local parents and teachers on how confident they are feeling in the Province's updated restart plan for school.

WATCH: Darpan Special Feature-Back to school during COVID-19 with parents and teachers

Top official in N.B. vice-regal office accused of fraud

Top official in N.B. vice-regal office accused of fraud
The fraud allegations are found in an Aug. 17 affidavit sworn before the Court of Queen's Bench, by an RCMP commercial crime investigator seeking to prevent the sale of Richardson's home in Fredericton.

Top official in N.B. vice-regal office accused of fraud