Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers
British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors. Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges
Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he is only aware of two genders — male and female — and that the government should leave people alone. In an interview with CP24 news channel, Poilievre was asked about President Donald Trump signing an executive order declaring the U.S. will only recognize two sexes and that they are unchangeable.

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race
Liberal leadership candidates Mark Carney and Chandra Arya have submitted their paperwork to enter the race ahead of tomorrow's deadline. The two appear to be the first through that gate, submitting the required signatures and a $50,000 deposit.

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says
The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

2 arrested for assault with a weapon
Police in Surrey say two men have been charged with multiple offences including assault with a weapon, uttering threats to cause death, and unlawful confinement after an incident at a city centre apartment on Monday. They say officers responded to a call from a resident at an apartment on Central Avenue who said that two men were acting violently and had a gun.

2 arrested for assault with a weapon