Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors
Three men from Port Alberni have been charged with sexual offences on minors, including trafficking of youth under 18 years old.  RCMP say its general investigations unit started looking into the allegations in 2020 and charges were laid last week. 

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast
The federal government is providing $117 million to help solve what it describes as the "heightening water crisis" due to drought on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast, where the Sechelt area has been hit especially hard.

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP
R-C-M-P officers in the central Okanagan will soon start wearing body cameras. The acting officer in charge of the detachment based in Kelowna says they are among the first in B-C to deploy the equipment that will be the national standard

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet
The BC government has released Premier David Eby's mandate letters for his new cabinet, outlining priorities for each ministry. Almost every minister has instructions to grow the economy and "reduce costs for families."

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report
The federal government spent more on contracted information technology services in four federal departments in 2022-23 than it would have if the work had been done by public servants, the parliamentary budget officer found in a new analysis. A report from the PBO published Thursday said the federal government spent $18.6 billion on professional and special services in 2022-23, with $2.6 billion of that money going to IT.

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre
Federal Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he will reverse an increase on the capital gains tax introduced last June if his party forms the next government. Speaking in Tsawwassen today at the site of a housing development under construction, Poilievre says the Liberal governments changes in the capital gains tax changes have stunted job creation, while funding handouts to large businesses and corporations.

Capital gains reversal if party forms govt: Poilievre