Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberal endorsements start to trickle in as Carney launches leadership bid

Liberal endorsements start to trickle in as Carney launches leadership bid
Liberal MPs are starting to reveal which candidates they're backing in the race to replace Justin Trudeau, just as the presumed front-runners get ready to declare they're running. Health Minister Mark Holland, Liberal MPs Ben Carr, Ken McDonald and Stéphane Lauzon, and former cabinet minister Randy Boissonnault say they're supporting former finance minister Chrystia Freeland.

Liberal endorsements start to trickle in as Carney launches leadership bid

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs
Exactly what president-elect Donald Trump plans to do with tariffs on Canada remains a mystery not just to Canada but to most Republicans, Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said Thursday.

Resources minister says many Republicans don't know Trump's plans for tariffs

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list
The professional association for B.C. bylaw workers says among its top 10 "interesting" calls received last year included a resident complaining about  a neighbour "purposefully" flatulating in their general direction as a form of harassment. The Local Government Compliance and Enforcement Association of BC released a list of top "interesting, unique and funny calls" received by bylaw departments in the province last year. 

Professional association of B.C. bylaw workers releases cheeky top calls list

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'
The Victoria Police Department on Wednesday released race-based data showing an "overrepresentation" of Indigenous people in cases involving police use of force over a six-year period from 2018 to 2023. 

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people
A man and woman are accused of lighting their Calgary home on fire, triggering an explosion that injured several people last fall. Calgary police and firefighters were called in early October to a residential neighbourhood shortly after the explosion happened.

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says
The "significant pressures" on British Columbia's forest industry have prompted a review of BC Timber Sales, the organization that manages about 20 per cent of the annual allowable cut. Forests Minister Ravi Parmar says in a statement that the review will ensure the sector can continue to evolve to overcome challenges and create a more resilient industry in the future. 

Forestry 'transition' sets off review of BC Timber Sales, province says