Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic
An ultrasound technician has been charged with sexually assaulting a patient at his southeast Edmonton clinic last year.  Edmonton police say 53-year-old Aasim Syed Ahmed was charged in August 2024 with one count of sexual assault.

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic

As fruit buds swell, B.C. farmers hit by 2024 deep freeze hope for better harvest

As fruit buds swell, B.C. farmers hit by 2024 deep freeze hope for better harvest
Peter Simonsen says buds on the peach trees at his farm in Naramata, B.C., are already starting to swell early. With plants already budding because of the previous warmth, a year's worth of crops, including peaches and nectarines, were wiped out, along with the vast majority of cherries, and grapes used in B.C. wines. The loss cost hundreds of millions of dollars and left many farmers scrambling to stay afloat.

As fruit buds swell, B.C. farmers hit by 2024 deep freeze hope for better harvest

Suspect in West Edmonton Mall shooting arrested in Northwest Territories

Suspect in West Edmonton Mall shooting arrested in Northwest Territories
A suspect in an August 2023 shooting at West Edmonton Mall has been arrested in the Northwest Territories. Edmonton police say they're working with their counterparts in the territory to execute warrants related to the shooting.

Suspect in West Edmonton Mall shooting arrested in Northwest Territories

Canada carbon rebate goes out today as future of carbon tax remains unclear

Canada carbon rebate goes out today as future of carbon tax remains unclear
For a family of four, the rebate will pay out anywhere from $190 in New Brunswick to $450 in Alberta, with people in small and rural communities receiving a 20 per cent boost to their rebates.

Canada carbon rebate goes out today as future of carbon tax remains unclear

Canada says it has border under control just ahead of Trump inauguration

Canada says it has border under control just ahead of Trump inauguration
Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says Ottawa has added 60 new drones at the Canada-U.S. border and will deploy two new helicopters this week as it moves to ratchet up security. McGuinty trotted out the details of new measures as the federal government seeks to prove it's serious about beefing up border security with just five days left before Donald Trump's inauguration.

Canada says it has border under control just ahead of Trump inauguration

Energy minister makes the case for U.S.-Canada energy alliance in Washington

Energy minister makes the case for U.S.-Canada energy alliance in Washington
Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson — the latest Liberal to visit Washington in response to president-elect Donald Trump’s tariff threats — is making a pitch for a Canada-U. S. energy and resource alliance. Wilkinson told American lawmakers Wednesday that the best way for the U.S. to protect its economic dominance and national security from China is to work with Canada.

Energy minister makes the case for U.S.-Canada energy alliance in Washington