Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hot but no emergency say B.C. officials

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jul, 2022 09:41 AM
  • Hot but no emergency say B.C. officials

p>VANCOUVER - Temperature records are melting across British Columbia as a prolonged heat spell grips the province but Emergency Management BC says it is not anticipating an extreme heat emergency.

A statement from the agency says residents should monitor temperature forecasts and take advantage of cooling stations set up in many communities but it's not expecting a repeat of last year's deadly heat dome that killed more than 600 people.

Environment Canada is maintaining heat warnings for most of B.C. and says 10 daily maximum temperature records were broken Wednesday as the province recorded the top dozen highest temperatures in Canada.

At 42 C, Lytton was the hottest in the province and the country as the weather office says the village broke its previous record for the day of 40 C, set in 1939.

Records tumbled in all corners of B.C., from Vancouver to Bella Bella, Fort St. John and Nelson, and while Pemberton's 39.5 C did not set a record, it tied for fourth-hottest community in Canada, prompting a flood watch for the nearby Lillooet River.

The River Forecast Centre issued the watch for the Pemberton area and Lillooet River system as high elevation snow and glaciers melt, causing what the centre expects will be the highest recorded late-July flows in that region since those measurements began in 1914.

The centre also issued a high streamflow advisory for the Squamish and Elaho rivers and other glacially influenced rivers and creeks in the Sea-to-Sky region north of Vancouver.

"Although rivers and creeks in the Sea-to-Sky are unlikely to reach peak flood levels experienced typically from rain and rain-on-snow events in the fall, the upcoming flows are expected to be the highest experienced in late July," the River Forecast Centre said in a statement issued Wednesday.

"Extreme caution should be taken for those travelling to the backcountry during the current heat event," it said.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth also warned residents to take care as heat is forecast to continue at least until Monday.

“This week and as we head into the B.C. Day long weekend, we are seeing warm temperatures in many parts of the province," Farnworth said in a statement to The Canadian Press.

"I encourage everyone to stay cool and if you know someone who might be at a higher risk for heat illness to check in on them. Many municipalities are opening cooling centres, please check with your municipality, regional district or First Nation for the most-up-to-date information.”

No campfire bans have been imposed in any of B.C.'s six fire centres as the B.C. Day long weekend approaches, but the BC Wildfire Service warns the heat wave is creating potentially dangerous conditions.

"Recent warm and dry conditions indicate fires that start in the coming days are more likely to show increased fire behaviour and faster spread rates as forest fuels continue to dry out," the wildfire service said in a social media post.

The fire danger rating for most of B.C. was ranked as "high" on Thursday, with a large section of the southeast fire centre ranked as "extreme."

The forecast for Thursday included the chance of afternoon thunderstorms over the south Cariboo, North Thompson and Kamloops, while details on the wildfire service website showed 40 active blazes in B.C., with 12 sparked since Tuesday.

Only one wildfire of note was listed in the province and the wildfire service warned Thursday that the nearly 24-square kilometre blaze burning west of Lytton could see flare in the coming days as temperatures in the area remain above 40 C.

But fire officials also described the flames as "stable" as often gusty winds around Lytton had died down Wednesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby
On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 11:26 p.m., Burnaby RCMP frontline officers came upon a pedestrian that had been struck by a vehicle in the 6600 block of Hastings Street in Burnaby. A 2019 white Ford Edge was travelling east-bound on Hastings Street when it struck a lone pedestrian crossing the roadway.

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver
Despite life-saving efforts by VPD, BC Ambulance Service and Vancouver Fire Rescue Services, the victim was taken to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries and died. A 24-year-old man has been arrested and remains in custody. The investigation is ongoing.

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru
  The 376 passengers arrived off the coast of B.C. hoping to challenge the immigration laws at the time which refused entry to any Indians who had not arrived in Canada via a continuous journey from the home country — nearly impossible at the time.    

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home
Upon attendance, Frontline officers spoke with the adult female resident, who reported that she had been sexually assaulted by an unknown male suspect. The female victim was taken to an area hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a shot fired in the 13700 block of Grosvenor road. A male suffering from serious injuries was located and transported to a local area hospital.    

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP
Richmond RCMP is saddened to report that missing 64-year old Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj (male) has been found deceased on May 19, 2022 in the 6800 block of Miller Rd. This incident is not considered suspicious. 

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP