Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hot but no emergency say B.C. officials

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jul, 2022 09:41 AM
  • Hot but no emergency say B.C. officials

p>VANCOUVER - Temperature records are melting across British Columbia as a prolonged heat spell grips the province but Emergency Management BC says it is not anticipating an extreme heat emergency.

A statement from the agency says residents should monitor temperature forecasts and take advantage of cooling stations set up in many communities but it's not expecting a repeat of last year's deadly heat dome that killed more than 600 people.

Environment Canada is maintaining heat warnings for most of B.C. and says 10 daily maximum temperature records were broken Wednesday as the province recorded the top dozen highest temperatures in Canada.

At 42 C, Lytton was the hottest in the province and the country as the weather office says the village broke its previous record for the day of 40 C, set in 1939.

Records tumbled in all corners of B.C., from Vancouver to Bella Bella, Fort St. John and Nelson, and while Pemberton's 39.5 C did not set a record, it tied for fourth-hottest community in Canada, prompting a flood watch for the nearby Lillooet River.

The River Forecast Centre issued the watch for the Pemberton area and Lillooet River system as high elevation snow and glaciers melt, causing what the centre expects will be the highest recorded late-July flows in that region since those measurements began in 1914.

The centre also issued a high streamflow advisory for the Squamish and Elaho rivers and other glacially influenced rivers and creeks in the Sea-to-Sky region north of Vancouver.

"Although rivers and creeks in the Sea-to-Sky are unlikely to reach peak flood levels experienced typically from rain and rain-on-snow events in the fall, the upcoming flows are expected to be the highest experienced in late July," the River Forecast Centre said in a statement issued Wednesday.

"Extreme caution should be taken for those travelling to the backcountry during the current heat event," it said.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth also warned residents to take care as heat is forecast to continue at least until Monday.

“This week and as we head into the B.C. Day long weekend, we are seeing warm temperatures in many parts of the province," Farnworth said in a statement to The Canadian Press.

"I encourage everyone to stay cool and if you know someone who might be at a higher risk for heat illness to check in on them. Many municipalities are opening cooling centres, please check with your municipality, regional district or First Nation for the most-up-to-date information.”

No campfire bans have been imposed in any of B.C.'s six fire centres as the B.C. Day long weekend approaches, but the BC Wildfire Service warns the heat wave is creating potentially dangerous conditions.

"Recent warm and dry conditions indicate fires that start in the coming days are more likely to show increased fire behaviour and faster spread rates as forest fuels continue to dry out," the wildfire service said in a social media post.

The fire danger rating for most of B.C. was ranked as "high" on Thursday, with a large section of the southeast fire centre ranked as "extreme."

The forecast for Thursday included the chance of afternoon thunderstorms over the south Cariboo, North Thompson and Kamloops, while details on the wildfire service website showed 40 active blazes in B.C., with 12 sparked since Tuesday.

Only one wildfire of note was listed in the province and the wildfire service warned Thursday that the nearly 24-square kilometre blaze burning west of Lytton could see flare in the coming days as temperatures in the area remain above 40 C.

But fire officials also described the flames as "stable" as often gusty winds around Lytton had died down Wednesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

17 likely monkeypox cases in Montreal: officials

17 likely monkeypox cases in Montreal: officials
On Wednesday, health officials in Massachusetts reported a monkeypox case in a man who had recently travelled to Canada. The man was in Montreal at the end of April to meet friends and returned in early May. Monkeypox typically begins with a flu-like illness and swelling of the lymph nodes, followed by a rash on the face and body.

17 likely monkeypox cases in Montreal: officials

Thousands on south coast in the dark after storm

Thousands on south coast in the dark after storm
Environment Canada says wind gusts of around 90 kilometres per hour were recorded off Victoria at the height of Wednesday's storm. BC Hydro reported about 121,000 customers lost power Wednesday and crews worked through the night, despite toppled trees that made access difficult in many areas.

Thousands on south coast in the dark after storm

B.C. legislature clerk guilty of fraud

B.C. legislature clerk guilty of fraud
Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes, of the B.C. Supreme Court, says Craig James dishonestly described clothing he purchased as work attire when he knew it was not.

B.C. legislature clerk guilty of fraud

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation
On March 10, 2022, one count of Sexual Assault was laid against 68-year-old, Brian Robert Walks and a warrant was issued for his arrest. He was arrested on March 13 and later released on court-imposed conditions which limit his access to persons under the age of 16 years.

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner
On May 3, 2022, 39-year-old, Giovanni Robert Cipparone, was charged with four counts of Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking in Property Obtained by Crime and four counts of Possession of Property Obtained by Crime. Giovanni has been served a summons to appear in court later this month.    

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash
An information charging Cst. Randhawa with one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm contrary to section 320.13(2) of the Criminal Code was sworn on May 18, 2022, under Provincial Court file number 248979. The first appearance on this matter is scheduled for June 15, 2022, in Surrey Provincial Court.    

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash