Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Housing minister won't commit to Liberal election promise to cut development fees

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Oct, 2025 10:50 AM
  • Housing minister won't commit to Liberal election promise to cut development fees

The federal housing minister wouldn't commit today to a Liberal election campaign promise to push cities to cut the fees that help fund local infrastructure.

In Toronto today for an announcement, Housing Minister Gregor Robertson did not answer directly when asked whether the Liberals are still committed to their promise to cut municipal development charges in half to lower the cost of homebuilding.

Speaking to reporters, Robertson said Ottawa "initially" was looking at a 50 per cent reduction in development charges, but was not clear on whether the government would meet that bar and suggested more details are coming in advance of the Nov. 4 budget.

Robertson said infrastructure accounts for a large part of the cost of building new homes, and development charges are key to covering those housing costs in cities like Toronto and Vancouver.

The minister was in Toronto to announce federal funding for the city's sewer infrastructure and the first housing project to go forward through the federal government's new affordable housing agency, Build Canada Homes.

Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow said financing is a major hurdle keeping many builders from breaking ground on new homes, and that's why the city is talking with Ottawa about adjusting development charges.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

MORE National ARTICLES

TikTok files legal challenge of federal government's shutdown order

TikTok files legal challenge of federal government's shutdown order
TikTok is challenging the federal government’s order to shut down its operations in Canada. The company filed in documents in Federal Court in Vancouver on Thursday.

TikTok files legal challenge of federal government's shutdown order

Parents plead guilty in 2021 death of burned, emaciated toddler in Calgary

Parents plead guilty in 2021 death of burned, emaciated toddler in Calgary
The parents of a badly burned and emaciated Calgary toddler have pleaded guilty in his death. Court heard on Monday horrific details about the 2021 death of Gabriel Sinclair-Pasqua.

Parents plead guilty in 2021 death of burned, emaciated toddler in Calgary

Premiers to meet with Trudeau Wednesday about trade and tariffs, Ford says

Premiers to meet with Trudeau Wednesday about trade and tariffs, Ford says
It comes two weeks after the premiers' last meeting with Justin Trudeau, where they discussed how to respond to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's warning that he will impose a 25 per cent tariff on goods from Canada and Mexico when he takes office next month.

Premiers to meet with Trudeau Wednesday about trade and tariffs, Ford says

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency
New Zealand's border agency says a woman is in custody after arriving on a flight from Vancouver with more than 10 kilograms of methamphetamine wrapped as Christmas presents. The New Zealand Customs Service says in a news release that the woman arrived in Auckland on Sunday, where she was questioned by officers.

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital
Family of an Indigenous man whose braids were cut and thrown away while he was staying in an Edmonton hospital want answers. Eve Adams says this past spring she went to visit her husband Dexter at Edmonton’s Royal Alexandra Hospital only to find the 84-year-old's braids, his eagle feather and some medicine had been put in the garbage can.

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown
Police in Vancouver say a 29-year-old man has been charged for allegedly sucker-punching a stranger in the city's downtown last month. It happened on November 28th outside the Hudson's Bay on West Georgia Street.

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown