Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hudson's Bay seeks creditor protection, plans to restructure business

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2025 05:38 PM
  • Hudson's Bay seeks creditor protection, plans to restructure business

Canada's oldest retailer, Hudson's Bay, has filed for creditor protection and intends to restructure the business.

The department store company that dates back to 1670 announced the move Friday evening, saying it has been facing “significant” pressures, including subdued consumer spending, trade tensions between the U.S. and Canada and post-pandemic drops in downtown store traffic.

“While very difficult, this is a necessary step to strengthen our foundation and ensure that we remain a significant part of Canada’s retail landscape, despite the sector-wide challenges that have forced other retailers to exit the market,” Liz Rodbell, president and CEO of Hudson’s Bay said in a press release. 

“Now more than ever, it is critical that Canadian businesses are protected and positioned to succeed.”

The company's hulking footprint spans 80 Hudson's Bay locations that sell everything from apparel to housewares, cosmetics and furniture. 

Through a licensing agreement, it also owns three Saks Fifth Avenue stores and 13 Saks Off 5th locations in Canada, which will continue to operate.

Saks Global, which owns U.S. Saks locations as well as Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman stores, is not connected to the creditor protection filing.

As part of the filing, Hudson's Bay said it was exploring several strategic options to strengthen its business and said it would not make promises but was committed to preserving jobs where possible.

The company spent the last several years in a state of deterioration as it closed several stores and carried out several rounds of layoffs.

In orchestrating prior cuts, it cited "challenging headwinds" that made it necessary to slash its workforce and pull out of a store redevelopment at the Oakridge Park shopping centre in Vancouver.

Hudson's Bay's regression was evident across the department store's floors.

When its crown jewel location on Queen Street West in Toronto closed its Food Wares market, it haphazardly filled the food counters and display cases with a growing array of Zellers merchandise rather than remodelling the wing.

Even more recently, grocer Pusateri's and coffee purveyor Nescafé decamped, further emptying the store, which has appeared to be in a state of disrepair with escalators often broken and many departments begging for some TLC.

Hudson's Bay made some tweaks to its product mix last year, bringing in Target's kid brand Cat & Jack and returning womenswear banners Ann Taylor and Loft to Canada. Yet some felt the changes weren't working.

“I did a walk-through just to see what was going on and crickets,” Liza Amlani, the co-founder of the Retail Strategy Group, told The Canadian Press last summer.

“There were no people. There was excessive markdowns, rails and rails of product, which tells me that either the buying team (or) the planning team does not know what the Canadian customer is looking for.”

Amlani's comments came when Hudson's Bay parent company HBC was experiencing a glimmer of hope last summer as it purchased Neiman Marcus and its Bergdorf Goodman banner for US$2.65 billion.

HBC's plan was to combine the luxury department stores with the Saks Fifth Avenue and Saks Off 5th chains it already owned in a new entity called Saks Global.

As part of the transaction, e-commerce goliath Amazon and software giant Salesforce were expected to become investors in Saks Global.

Some Neiman Marcus staff were laid off last week as HBC prepared to consolidate its U.S. office space and cut the banner's Dallas flagship.

Meanwhile, its nearest Canadian competitor, Simons, is in growth mode with a $75-million expansion plan. The 185-year-old dry-goods-shop-turned-department-store-chain will open locations in the Yorkdale and Eaton Centre malls in Toronto, where Hudson's Bay has long been an anchor tenant, later this year.

The architect behind most of HBC's modern history is Richard Baker, an American real estate titan whose National Realty and Development Corp. Equity Partners bought Hudson's Bay in 2008 from the widow of late South Carolina businessman Jerry Zucker for $1.1 billion.

Baker took the company public in 2012 only to reverse course through a takeover bid that had to be sweetened twice before shareholders accepted it in early 2020 ahead of the COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns.

In the lead-up to the privatization vote, Baker faced criticism for HBC's stock dropping while he was at the helm and for not better utilizing the company's real estate, which includes several prized locations in high-traffic shopping districts.

After the privatization was approved, he acknowledged there was work to be done and said it would start with a new website for Hudson’s Bay.

“It will take patient capital and a long-term view to fully unleash HBC’s potential at the intersection of real estate and retail,” he said in March 2020.

MORE National ARTICLES

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes
A Nanaimo man has been taken to hospital after being stabbed with syringes in the bathroom of a local park. Mounties say the 58-year-old man is a City of Nanaimo employee and suffered injuries to his face and abdomen in the attack at about 10 a-m yesterday.

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead
Police in Delta say a man missing since Monday morning in the Metro Vancouver community has been found dead. Police say the man had left his home wearing nothing but underwear and suffered from a significant injury.

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order
In an application dated Dec. 3, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 says it is seeking to quash MacKinnon's direction on Nov. 12 to the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order a resumption of port operations in B.C. after a lockout imposed by employers.

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark
Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day. On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to meet with provincial and territorial premiers Wednesday afternoon to talk Canada-U.S. relations. The premiers will virtually discuss a plan to tackle the threat of 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports by incoming U.S. president Donald Trump.

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward
The Bank of Canada lowered its key interest rate by half a percentage point on Wednesday but signalled a slower pace of rate cuts moving forward. The decision marked the fifth consecutive reduction since June and brings the central bank’s key rate down to 3.25 per cent.

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward