Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ontario University Students To Disarm Fake Bomb As Part Of Final Exam

    Ontario University Students To Disarm Fake Bomb As Part Of Final Exam
    TORONTO — Some Ontario university students are set for a stressful final examination: disarming fake bombs with robots they've designed.

    Ontario University Students To Disarm Fake Bomb As Part Of Final Exam

    'The Child Is Dead,' Says Top Delhi Congress Leader As He Joins BJP

    'The Child Is Dead,' Says Top Delhi Congress Leader As He Joins BJP
    The Congress on Tuesday suffered a major setback in Delhi with former chief of the state unit Arvinder Singh Lovely joining the BJP.

    'The Child Is Dead,' Says Top Delhi Congress Leader As He Joins BJP

    B.C. Candidates Highlight Health Care, Economy As Election Continues

    B.C. Candidates Highlight Health Care, Economy As Election Continues
    VANCOUVER — The leaders of British Columbia's main political parties are taking shots at one another over health care and the economy as the election campaign continues ahead of the provincial vote on May 9.

    B.C. Candidates Highlight Health Care, Economy As Election Continues

    Mud Slides In Kaslo, B.C., And Shuswap Force Evacuations, Detours

    Mud Slides In Kaslo, B.C., And Shuswap Force Evacuations, Detours
    KASLO, B.C. — The threat of further mudslides has forced the evacuation of residents from 47 homes in the southeastern B.C., community of Kaslo.

    Mud Slides In Kaslo, B.C., And Shuswap Force Evacuations, Detours

    5-Year-Old Girl Allegedly Raped By Juvenile In Delhi's Rohini

    5-Year-Old Girl Allegedly Raped By Juvenile In Delhi's Rohini
    A five-year-old girl was allegedly raped by a juvenile in Vijay Vihar area of Rohini on Monday.

    5-Year-Old Girl Allegedly Raped By Juvenile In Delhi's Rohini

    Former 'Missing' Olympian Facing Fraud Charges To Appear In Victoria Court Today

    VICTORIA — An investment dealer and former Olympic rower who went missing for nearly a year and a half is scheduled to appear in court in Victoria today.

    Former 'Missing' Olympian Facing Fraud Charges To Appear In Victoria Court Today