Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Early Signs That Vancouver Housing Market Correction May Be Over: Royal Lepage

    Early Signs That Vancouver Housing Market Correction May Be Over: Royal Lepage
    The realtor released a report Tuesday saying Canada's two largest real estate markets continued their divergence in the first quarter of the year.

    Early Signs That Vancouver Housing Market Correction May Be Over: Royal Lepage

    Trial Begins For Calgary Man Accused Of Killing Wife, Burying Body In Basement

    Trial Begins For Calgary Man Accused Of Killing Wife, Burying Body In Basement
    CALGARY — The Crown says a Calgary man accused of killing his common-law wife confessed to undercover officers he strangled her and buried her body in the basement of the home they shared.

    Trial Begins For Calgary Man Accused Of Killing Wife, Burying Body In Basement

    Former Nova Scotia Teacher Wins Delay In Sentencing On Sex Charges

    Former Nova Scotia Teacher Wins Delay In Sentencing On Sex Charges
    HALIFAX — The sentencing of a former Nova Scotia junior high teacher who admitted to inappropriate contact with a student has been delayed.

    Former Nova Scotia Teacher Wins Delay In Sentencing On Sex Charges

    Omar Khadr's Criminal Record In Canada Shows 'Absolute Ignorance': Lawyer

    TORONTO — Omar Khadr's official criminal record in Canada contains oddities and errors that are at odds with how the federal government viewed him on his return from the notorious prison on the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

    Omar Khadr's Criminal Record In Canada Shows 'Absolute Ignorance': Lawyer

    Premier Clark Boasts About B.C.'s Low Jobless Rate, But Rural Areas Struggle

    Premier Clark Boasts About B.C.'s Low Jobless Rate, But Rural Areas Struggle
    VICTORIA — Premier Christy Clark often highlights the fact British Columbia has the lowest jobless rate in Canada, but rural and remote areas in the province are struggling with major industry downturns and job losses.

    Premier Clark Boasts About B.C.'s Low Jobless Rate, But Rural Areas Struggle

    Canada Tries To Strip Citizenship From Man Accused Of Butchering Villagers

    Canada Tries To Strip Citizenship From Man Accused Of Butchering Villagers
    Jorge Vinicio Sosa Orantes concealed his brutal role in a 1982 massacre by the Guatemalan military in obtaining Canadian citizenship a decade later, the federal government says in newly filed court documents.

    Canada Tries To Strip Citizenship From Man Accused Of Butchering Villagers