Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Post Punjab & Goa, A Changes Strategy: 'No Modi-Bashing'

    Post Punjab & Goa, A Changes Strategy: 'No Modi-Bashing'
    Another reason behind not targeting Modi in the MCD polls is the massive victory the BJP scored in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

    Post Punjab & Goa, A Changes Strategy: 'No Modi-Bashing'

    No Threat After Message On Social Media Warns Students Of Delta School

    No Threat After Message On Social Media Warns Students Of Delta School
    Police Was Called In After Word Of A Threat Linked To A Delta School Was Posted On Social Media

    No Threat After Message On Social Media Warns Students Of Delta School

    New Westminster Man Wanted On 4 Warrants Found Hiding In Broom Closet

    New Westminster Man Wanted On 4 Warrants Found Hiding In Broom Closet
    On April 11th 2017 at approximately 11:10am, New Westminster Police were looking for 37 year old New Westminster resident Darryl Shane McIntyre in the 700 block of 5th Avenue. 

    New Westminster Man Wanted On 4 Warrants Found Hiding In Broom Closet

    Indian Billionaire Anil Agarwal Buys 11.4 Per Cent Of Miner Anglo American, Becomes 2nd Largest Hold

    Indian Billionaire Anil Agarwal Buys 11.4 Per Cent Of Miner Anglo American, Becomes 2nd Largest Hold
    Indian metals-to-mining magnate Anil Agarwal has acquired an over 11 per cent stake in British mining company Anglo American, according to a London Stock Exchange notice.

    Indian Billionaire Anil Agarwal Buys 11.4 Per Cent Of Miner Anglo American, Becomes 2nd Largest Hold

    Toronto Man Sues Elevator Company Over Mishap In Condo; Says He Hurt Leg In Fall

    Toronto Man Sues Elevator Company Over Mishap In Condo; Says He Hurt Leg In Fall
    n his unproven statement of claim before Ontario Superior Court, Kenneth Smookler seeks $25,000 in compensation from Schindler Elevator and his Toronto condo corporation for what he alleges was their failure to maintain the device properly.

    Toronto Man Sues Elevator Company Over Mishap In Condo; Says He Hurt Leg In Fall

    British Columbia New Democrats Promise Balanced Budget, Higher Corporate Tax

    British Columbia New Democrats Promise Balanced Budget, Higher Corporate Tax
    COQUITLAM, B.C. — British Columbia's New Democrats are promising three years of balanced budgets while also reining in auto insurance rates and BC Ferries fares if they win the provincial election.

    British Columbia New Democrats Promise Balanced Budget, Higher Corporate Tax