Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Indigenous Pipeline Protesters Take Over B.C. Park, Displace Campers, Erect 'Tiny Homes'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jul, 2018 12:12 PM
    An Indigenous group calling itself the Tiny House Warriors has moved into the North Thompson River Provincial Park near Clearwater, B.C., in an effort to block the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.
     
     
    Group spokeswoman Kanahus Manuel says they are reclaiming an ancestral village their people were forced from many years ago, while at the same trying to prevent the expansion of the pipeline through their traditional territory.
     
     
    Manuel says they have moved into the site and will be building tiny houses on the land in an action that has the approval of the hereditary chiefs of the Secwepemc First Nation.
     
     
    She says Indigenous land defenders within the group will resist the construction of the pipeline through their territory.
     
     
    A statement from the provincial Ministry of Environment says BC Parks is maintaining the closure of the area while efforts are made to respectfully resolve the situation and it is offering refunds to those who have booked campsites.
     

    Tiny House Warriors reclaim land, block Trans Mountain Expansion pipeline route 11 July 2018 (UNCEDED SECWEPEMC...

    Posted by Kanahus Manuel on Wednesday, 11 July 2018
     
    The ministry says it recognizes the right to engage in peaceful protest, however it also recognizes that people, who simply want a camping experience are being inconvenienced.
     
     
    Manuel responded by saying her people have been inconvenienced by colonialism for over 150 years.
     
     
    "We were moved off of our lands. There are internationally protected rights which (say) Indigenous people can use and exclusively occupy their lands to maintain our culture, our language and our ways."
     
     
    She said no one from the provincial government has come to speak with them since the group cut off access to the main road into the camp.
     
     
    Many of the locals support their action, she said, because they don't want the pipeline expansion either.
     
     
     
     
    Although some people have been shouting racist slogans from the vehicles, she added.
     
     
    "We've had a few drive-by shoutings."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation

    Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation
    MONTREAL — Quebec's third-largest city is cracking down on sex-related businesses such as erotic massage parlours and swingers' clubs.

    Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation

    U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show

    U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show
      OTTAWA — A budding cross-border data exchange with the United States is quietly helping Canada crack down on immigration violators.

    U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show

    John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark

    John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark
    Premier John Horgan has called a byelection for the riding of Kelowna West on Feb. 14.

    John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence
    The woman had been convicted for stabbing Douglas Barrett in the back in his Sydney, N.S., home on Sept. 19, 2015.

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts
      Police said this week their investigation found the alleged incident didn't happen, just days after the girl and her family gave a detailed account during a high-profile news conference.

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne
    BARRIE, Ont. — Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is defending her comments against hate crime following an alleged attack on an 11-year-old Toronto girl wearing a hijab that later turned out to be untrue.

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne