Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Industry groups look to new cabinet for action

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Oct, 2021 01:23 PM
  • Industry groups look to new cabinet for action

TORONTO - Business and labour groups are urging the new federal cabinet to get to work on priority economic issues like the skilled labour shortage, supply chain issues, fixing employment insurance and ensuring an equitable recovery.

The challenges will be taken on by a cabinet that includes consistency in key economic roles such as Chrystia Freeland as finance minister and François-Philippe Champagne on innovation and industry, as well as new appointments including Seamus O’Regan as minster of labour, Dominic LeBlanc taking on infrastructure, and economic development being added to Mary Ng's portfolio.

The economy, however, didn't seem to be front and centre as the new cabinet was rolled out, said Robert Asselin, senior vice-president of policy at the Business Council of Canada.

“Given all the short-term challenges on the economy, rising inflation, lot of pressure points on the supply side, it didn’t come through as something that was top of mind.”

He said that labour shortages are a key area of concern for Canadian executives and that it will require co-ordination across numerous ministries to ensure there's enough skilled people in the right industries.

“That requires a private-public partnership. You need to reskill a lot of people, you need to upskill a lot of people, you need to transfer people from certain sectors to others very fast, otherwise it’s going to choke the growth of a lot of companies.”

Perrin Beatty, chief executive of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, said it was good to see the consistency in the finance and industry roles, noting that Champagne has a strong understanding of business. 

He said that one of the most notable appointments was Mélanie Joly as minister of foreign affairs, which comes as Canada works through issues with the U.S. on the auto sector and pipelines and with China on issues like Huawei and trade.

“It is a very hot portfolio to be taking over at the present time, when we have difficult relationships with our two major trading partners...these are very important files with very significant economic implications, quite apart from the political relationships.”

Bea Bruske, president of the Canadian Labour Congress, said that the government must prioritize an equitable recovery as women have been disproportionally impacted by the economic crisis that came with the pandemic. 

She said the most immediate priority though is extending employment insurance support for the 800,000 workers who are the COVID-19 support program that the government didn't extend last week.

“We know those workers are still struggling, because even though jobs have come back, not all the jobs have come back."

She said many who have gone back to work face precarious and part-time work, and she looks forward to working with O’Regan as labour minister to improve conditions.

“We really have a big agenda for this new government to tackle right off the hop, and so we really want to get that work started as quickly as possible.” 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order
Trans Mountain has now submitted a satisfactory plan to correct deficiencies in the oversight of its contractors that could pose threats to nesting birds, the Canada Energy Regulator said Tuesday in a statement.

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 1,150 active cases of COVID-19 in BC. This is the lowest number since of active cases since September 1. There There are 111 people in hospital, up 3, and 41 in ICU, down 6.

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats
Rachna Singh, parliamentary secretary for anti-racism initiatives, says a partner with the province's anti-racism network in Nanaimo and Ladysmith decided to cancel the car rally after organizers received threats of physical violence.

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault
62 year old Abbotsford resident, Deepak Sharma, was found guilty on June 18th, 2021 in North Vancouver provincial court. His sentencing hearing date has been set for June 29. 

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault

Canada's Senate gets three new members

Canada's Senate gets three new members
Three new senators, including a high-profile labour leader, have been named to the upper chamber on the advice of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The Trudeau Liberals have used an advisory board to review potential senators and make merit-based recommendations for the prime minister to review.

Canada's Senate gets three new members

No parole for teen killer Paul Bernardo

No parole for teen killer Paul Bernardo
Teen killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo failed in his second parole bid on Tuesday after the parents of two of his victims recounted the enduring pain of his twisted crimes and warned he should never be released from his life sentence.

No parole for teen killer Paul Bernardo