Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Injunction against quarantine hotel policy denied

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Mar, 2021 06:24 PM
  • Injunction against quarantine hotel policy denied

A constitutional rights advocacy group has lost its bid for an injunction against the federal government's quarantine hotel policy designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The Canadian Constitution Foundation had asked for the injunction while waiting for the courts to rule on whether the policy for incoming international travellers is constitutional.

The foundation was acting on behalf of five individuals who had to leave Canada for compassionate purposes - three of them to attend to a dying parent.

“This was not the result we wanted today, but the court did recognize that the applicants in our challenge have sympathetic stories and that the constitutional questions need to be heard on the merits," said Christine Van Geyn, the advocacy group's litigation director.

"The court also acknowledged that the applicants’ section 7 Charter liberty interests are engaged by the quarantine hotel policy,” he said.

A government order that went into effect on Feb. 14 mandates that anyone entering Canada from abroad must stay in a federally approved hotel for the first three nights of a 14-day quarantine.

Travellers are expected to pay for their government-approved accommodations while awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test they have to take on arrival.

The Canadian Constitution Foundation argues in its legal application that hotel quarantine requirements are "overbroad, arbitrary and grossly disproportionate."

In dismissing the injunction request, Justice Frederick L. Myers said the applicants will not suffer irreparable harm in the few weeks leading up to a hearing on the constitutionality of the policy.

Myers also said the public interest in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and variants of the virus outweighs the arguments in favour of an injunction that would temporarily suspend the order, which is set to expire on April 21.

He said in his decision that the applicants' true upset is that they are forced to spend money when they think they can quarantine at home safely.

"However, according to the data and the views of those with knowledge and experience studying the problem scientifically, and not just on Twitter, there are serious increased risks presented by arriving planes carrying a higher proportion of people with COVID-19 and variants," said Myers.

The CCF is asking that a hearing on the constitutionality of the mandatory quarantine hotel policy be expedited. They argue that because travellers continue to arrive at four of Canada's international airports on a daily basis it's an urgent issue.

“We look forward to the hearing on the full constitutional question, and we are proud of the work were are doing assisting these travellers, who need to leave Canada for compassionate reasons," said Van Geyn.

MORE National ARTICLES

Most outages restored following B.C. windstorm

Most outages restored following B.C. windstorm
The Crown utility said electricity was flowing again for 97 per cent of its customers and was expected to be restored to the remainder by the end of Thursday.

Most outages restored following B.C. windstorm

Suspect involved in a pepper spray, road rage incident

Suspect involved in a pepper spray, road rage incident
The suspect then fled at a high rate of speed in a white Ford F150. The victims believe the incident stemmed from a lane change earlier in the day, which escalated to this act of road rage.

Suspect involved in a pepper spray, road rage incident

Series of break and enters results in jewellery, handbags, electronics being recovered

Series of break and enters results in jewellery, handbags, electronics being recovered
A search warrant led to the recovery of hundreds of thousands of dollars in personal property, including jewellery, electronics, expensive handbags and purses amongst other items.

Series of break and enters results in jewellery, handbags, electronics being recovered

Senior pushed to the ground outside downtown shelter: Vancouver Police

Senior pushed to the ground outside downtown shelter: Vancouver Police
Staff called police when they witnessed a 43-year-old man push the senior to the ground and walk away.

Senior pushed to the ground outside downtown shelter: Vancouver Police

Review underway after doctors jump vaccine queue

Review underway after doctors jump vaccine queue
Dix says the broader segment of the population, beyond those who are most vulnerable, can expect to be immunized as of April when B.C. is scheduled to get about 2.6 million doses of vaccine.

Review underway after doctors jump vaccine queue

Judge to reserve decision on Meng Wanzhou bail

Judge to reserve decision on Meng Wanzhou bail
The chief financial officer for Huawei is wanted in the United States on fraud charges based on allegations that both she and the company deny.

Judge to reserve decision on Meng Wanzhou bail