Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Injunction against quarantine hotel policy denied

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Mar, 2021 06:24 PM
  • Injunction against quarantine hotel policy denied

A constitutional rights advocacy group has lost its bid for an injunction against the federal government's quarantine hotel policy designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The Canadian Constitution Foundation had asked for the injunction while waiting for the courts to rule on whether the policy for incoming international travellers is constitutional.

The foundation was acting on behalf of five individuals who had to leave Canada for compassionate purposes - three of them to attend to a dying parent.

“This was not the result we wanted today, but the court did recognize that the applicants in our challenge have sympathetic stories and that the constitutional questions need to be heard on the merits," said Christine Van Geyn, the advocacy group's litigation director.

"The court also acknowledged that the applicants’ section 7 Charter liberty interests are engaged by the quarantine hotel policy,” he said.

A government order that went into effect on Feb. 14 mandates that anyone entering Canada from abroad must stay in a federally approved hotel for the first three nights of a 14-day quarantine.

Travellers are expected to pay for their government-approved accommodations while awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test they have to take on arrival.

The Canadian Constitution Foundation argues in its legal application that hotel quarantine requirements are "overbroad, arbitrary and grossly disproportionate."

In dismissing the injunction request, Justice Frederick L. Myers said the applicants will not suffer irreparable harm in the few weeks leading up to a hearing on the constitutionality of the policy.

Myers also said the public interest in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and variants of the virus outweighs the arguments in favour of an injunction that would temporarily suspend the order, which is set to expire on April 21.

He said in his decision that the applicants' true upset is that they are forced to spend money when they think they can quarantine at home safely.

"However, according to the data and the views of those with knowledge and experience studying the problem scientifically, and not just on Twitter, there are serious increased risks presented by arriving planes carrying a higher proportion of people with COVID-19 and variants," said Myers.

The CCF is asking that a hearing on the constitutionality of the mandatory quarantine hotel policy be expedited. They argue that because travellers continue to arrive at four of Canada's international airports on a daily basis it's an urgent issue.

“We look forward to the hearing on the full constitutional question, and we are proud of the work were are doing assisting these travellers, who need to leave Canada for compassionate reasons," said Van Geyn.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. care home report reveals confusion

B.C. care home report reveals confusion
The report, by Ernst & Young, says specific policy orders from the provincial health officer were interpreted differently by health authorities and there were gaps in infection prevention and control as well as emergency preparedness.

B.C. care home report reveals confusion

Ramesh Sangha expelled from Liberal caucus

Ramesh Sangha expelled from Liberal caucus
Holland says Liberals have been clear that they won't tolerate "conspiracy theories or dangerous and unfounded rhetoric about parliamentarians or other Canadians."

Ramesh Sangha expelled from Liberal caucus

Vancouver Police officers discover booze-can in Downtown apartment building

Vancouver Police officers discover booze-can in Downtown apartment building
So far this month, VPD has received four complaints about social gatherings inside the apartment.

Vancouver Police officers discover booze-can in Downtown apartment building

Groups question delay in B.C. care home report

Groups question delay in B.C. care home report
More than half of B.C.'s deaths from COVID-19 have been in long-term care facilities.

Groups question delay in B.C. care home report

Abbotsford Tulip Festival going out of business and closing permanently

Abbotsford Tulip Festival going out of business and closing permanently
The outdoor event attracted up to 100-thousand visitors each year over six weeks from April to May who gathered to marvel at the 2.5 million rainbow coloured tulips in full bloom.

Abbotsford Tulip Festival going out of business and closing permanently

B.C. has three cases of South African variant

B.C. has three cases of South African variant
The situation report, which contains the latest available data as of Jan. 16, says the other two cases reported no travel outside Canada or unknown travel status.

B.C. has three cases of South African variant