Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Apr, 2024 03:48 PM
  • International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September

The Liberals temporarily waived the 20-hour cap on work hours for international students during the COVID-19 pandemic in a bid to ease labour shortages.

That waiver expires Tuesday.

"Looking at best practices and policies in other like-minded countries, most of them limit the number of working hours for international students. Canada's rules need to be aligned or we will find our programs attracting more and more applicants whose primary intent is to work and not study," Miller said. 

"To be clear, the purpose of the international student program is to study and not to work."

The new work limit comes as the federal government clamps down on a surge in international student enrolments across the country. 

Critics have warned that allowing international students to work full-time could turn a study permit into an unofficial work visa, which would undermine its purpose. 

However, the federal government is also hearing from international students who say they need to work more to pay for their studies. 

Miller said his government is setting the cap at 24 hours because that seems "reasonable," and would allow students to work three full eight-hour shifts a week.

He also noted that internal work by the department shows more than 80 per cent of international students are currently working more than 20 hours a week.

The work hours limit will return to 20 hours per week until September, when the government can implement a permanent change to make it 24 hours.

There are no limits on the number of hours international students can work when they're not actively enrolled in class, such as during the summer.

The Canadian Press reported earlier this year that officials in Miller's department warned the government in 2022 that the temporary waiver could distract students from their studies and undermine the objective of temporary foreign worker programs.

Miller previously floated the idea of setting the cap permanently at 30 hours a week. However, on Monday, the immigration minister said that would be too close to full-time hours.

"We know from studies as well that when you start working in and around 30-hour levels, there is a material impact on the quality of your studies," he said.

Miller extended the waiver on work hours in December because he didn't want the change to affect students during the school year itself.

MORE National ARTICLES

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation says housing starts in Vancouver tumbled 45 per cent in May. The drop covered all types of projects -- from apartments and condos to other kinds of multi-unit developments -- and the trend was reflected in Montreal, where starts were off 35 per cent, and in Toronto, where starts fell 28 per cent.

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy
Ottawa released a statement Wednesday confirming that it was going ahead with the expropriations without the consent of all affected land owners. Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra and Procurement Minister Helena Jaczek say in the release that the federal government will take physical possession of the parcels of land required for the project on Aug. 1.  

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy

Ottawa boosts Haiti sanctions, police funding during summit aimed at resolving crisis

Ottawa boosts Haiti sanctions, police funding during summit aimed at resolving crisis
Ottawa is also adding $13 million to its funding for law enforcement, as Canada and the U.S. focus on shoring up the work of the Haitian National Police as they try to stop gangs from committing brazen acts of violence and controlling critical infrastructure.

Ottawa boosts Haiti sanctions, police funding during summit aimed at resolving crisis

Man finds metal bolt in McDonald's meal

Man finds metal bolt in McDonald's meal
A man is suing a fast-food restaurant in B-C after allegedly finding a metal bolt in his meal. Court documents say carpenter Roman Chromy was eating at a New Westminster McDonald's where he bought the allegedly contaminated food.

Man finds metal bolt in McDonald's meal

Man found guilty of sexual assault

Man found guilty of sexual assault
A B-C man has been found guilty of sexual assault stemming from an attack in Metro Vancouver in early 2022. North Vancouver R-C-M-P say Mission resident Jairus-Paul Sacramento is to be sentenced in court at a later date.

Man found guilty of sexual assault

4 found dead in Prince Rupert home

4 found dead in Prince Rupert home
Prince Rupert R-C-M-P say in a media release that officers responded to a call to the 100 block of Silversides Drive on Tuesday evening. Police say they do not believe there is a risk to the public, nor is there an outstanding suspect in the case.

4 found dead in Prince Rupert home