Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Kevin O'Leary To Quit Conservative Leadership Race, Support Maxime Bernier

The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2017 12:59 PM
  • Kevin O'Leary To Quit Conservative Leadership Race, Support Maxime Bernier
OTTAWA — Celebrity investor and reality-TV star Kevin O'Leary is quitting the federal Conservative leadership race and throwing his support behind Quebec rival Maxime Bernier.
 
O'Leary said despite his front-runner status nationally, he doesn't have the kind of support in Quebec he thinks he needs, not just for the leadership but for the next general election.
 
"This is obviously very disappointing for me. As someone who was born in Montreal, I had hoped I would do much better there," O'Leary said in a statement Wednesday, only hours after informing his campaign team of his decision.  
 
O'Leary said he is supporting Bernier because the longtime Quebec MP's policies mirror his own.
 
"He is perhaps the first Conservative in a long time that has a chance of winning over 40 seats there, which would materially improve our chances for a majority mandate," O'Leary said. 
 
"So here is what I'm going to do; I'm withdrawing my candidacy from the leadership race and throwing my full support behind Max."
 
Bernier, for his part, has scheduled a news conference in Toronto for later Wednesday, where the candidates are scheduled to face each other in a final debate showdown before next month's vote.
 
 
A lack of facility with French was always considered one of O'Leary's greatest liabilities.
 
As for assets, O'Leary had plenty: instant recognition, thanks to years of television exposure; a public image as a savvy financial manager; and a brash, no-nonsense, outsider approach that echoed the unlikely ascent of U.S. President Donald Trump.
 
He had promised to talk up the Canadian economy and trade in a way he complained the current Liberal government under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had failed to do.
 
"If Trudeau isn't beaten in the next election, he will leave the next generation of Canadians, those thousands of millennials I've been talking about, with a mountain of debt and high taxes. This cannot be allowed to happen," O'Leary said Wednesday.
 
"The Conservative party needs someone who has the best chance of beating Trudeau. Someone who will command the support of Canadians from every region of the country and who can build a consensus among all members of the party."
 
Prior to Wednesday, O'Leary had offered no hint that he was considering dropping out. Three hours before announcing the decision, he sent out a fundraising letter to his supporters.
 
The party has already started mailing ballots to party members, and O'Leary's name is included. His campaign claims to have signed up just over 35,000 people, and there's no guarantee any or all will agree to back Bernier.
 
The winner will be announced May 27.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canoeist Missing, Presumed Drowned, After Falling Into Lake Near Nanaimo, B.C.

Canoeist Missing, Presumed Drowned, After Falling Into Lake Near Nanaimo, B.C.
NANAIMO, B.C. — RCMP say dive teams were planning to search Westwood Lake in Nanaimo, B.C., looking for any sign of a missing man.

Canoeist Missing, Presumed Drowned, After Falling Into Lake Near Nanaimo, B.C.

Road-Raged Audi Driver Pleads Guilty After Video Shows Him Mowing Down Man

Road-Raged Audi Driver Pleads Guilty After Video Shows Him Mowing Down Man
SAINT JOHN, N.B. — A New Brunswick senior has pleaded guilty to running down a man after he was captured on video racing through a parking lot and striking a pedestrian, sending him flying through the air.

Road-Raged Audi Driver Pleads Guilty After Video Shows Him Mowing Down Man

Police To Seek Murder Charge In Death Of Baby Delivered After Mother Shot Dead

Police To Seek Murder Charge In Death Of Baby Delivered After Mother Shot Dead
Toronto police say any suspect charged in the fatal shooting of a 33-year-old pregnant woman last year will also be charged in the death of her baby, who was delivered prematurely.

Police To Seek Murder Charge In Death Of Baby Delivered After Mother Shot Dead

Ontario Group Home Resident Faces Murder Charges In Fire That Killed 2

Ontario Group Home Resident Faces Murder Charges In Fire That Killed 2
KAWARTHA LAKES, Ont. — Ontario Provincial Police say a second person has died following a fire late last week at an group home near the village of Oakwood, northeast of Toronto in Kawartha Lakes.

Ontario Group Home Resident Faces Murder Charges In Fire That Killed 2

John Furlong Warmly Received At Fundraiser After Initially Being Uninvited

VANCOUVER — Former Vancouver Olympics CEO John Furlong received a standing ovation at a University of British Columbia fundraiser Tuesday while a handful of protesters gathered outside to draw attention to abuse allegations against him.

John Furlong Warmly Received At Fundraiser After Initially Being Uninvited

Prince Edward Island Reports 10 Cases Of Whooping Cough In The Province

Dr. Heather Morrison, the Island's chief public health officer, says there are currently 10 cases in the province.

Prince Edward Island Reports 10 Cases Of Whooping Cough In The Province