Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Landmark Calgary Tower Still Closed Seven Weeks After Elevator Scare

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Aug, 2019 07:58 PM

    CALGARY - One of Calgary's most recognizable landmarks remains closed seven weeks after an elevator with eight people on board plunged several floors.

     

    Aspen Properties, owner of the Calgary Tower, says it doesn't have an update on repairs to the elevator at the popular tourist destination.

     

    The agency that governs elevators in Alberta says the elevator is stuck in the same position it was in when it broke in July.

     

    The Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Ride Safety Association says the car is held up in an area of the elevator shaft that is not easily accessible.

     

    Aspen Properties' website says 300,000 people visit the 190-metre tower each year, paying for tickets, visiting the two restaurants and testing their courage on the glass floor.

     

    It took firefighters four hours to rescue the eight people trapped inside the elevator when a cable broke July 12 and the car stopped about 12 storeys up.

     

    Rescuers using a harness pulled passengers out of the disabled lift and lowered them to the ground.

     

    Patrons in the restaurant at the top of the tower walked down the stairs or were carried by firefighters.

    No one was injured.

     

    The Calgary Tower was built to celebrate Canada's centennial anniversary in 1967. It was completed in 1968. (CTV Calgary)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Celebrations Across Canada To Mark National Indigenous Peoples Day

    Events are being held across Canada to mark National Indigenous Peoples Day, including a sunrise ceremony in Toronto, a totem pole unveiling in Whitehorse and the renaming of a street in Montreal.

    Celebrations Across Canada To Mark National Indigenous Peoples Day

    Danforth Shooter Faisal Hussain Had Long History Of Violent Thoughts, Motive Unclear: Police

    Police Chief Mark Saunders says Hussain was not affiliated with radical ideologies, hate groups or terrorist organizations.

    Danforth Shooter Faisal Hussain Had Long History Of Violent Thoughts, Motive Unclear: Police

    Surrey RCMP Seek Public Help In Locating Three-Year-Old Brycein Toane And Parents

    RCMP in Surrey, B.C., want to find a three-year-old child who has not been seen since Tuesday.

    Surrey RCMP Seek Public Help In Locating Three-Year-Old Brycein Toane And Parents

    Man Hit By Transit Bus Following Altercation In Burnaby, B.C., Dies In Hospital

    BURNABY, B.C. — The BC Coroners Service says the man hit by a transit bus in Burnaby, B.C., last week has now died.    

    Man Hit By Transit Bus Following Altercation In Burnaby, B.C., Dies In Hospital

    Counsellors Help Students At B.C. School After Student Dies During Field Trip

    SOOKE, B.C. — The Greater Victoria School District says counsellors will be at a local middle school to help students and staff deal with the death of a fellow student.

    Counsellors Help Students At B.C. School After Student Dies During Field Trip

    Raptors Coach Nick Nurse Says Meeting In The Works With Prime Minister Trudeau

    Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse says a meeting is in the works with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

    Raptors Coach Nick Nurse Says Meeting In The Works With Prime Minister Trudeau