Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Landmark Calgary Tower Still Closed Seven Weeks After Elevator Scare

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Aug, 2019 07:58 PM

    CALGARY - One of Calgary's most recognizable landmarks remains closed seven weeks after an elevator with eight people on board plunged several floors.

     

    Aspen Properties, owner of the Calgary Tower, says it doesn't have an update on repairs to the elevator at the popular tourist destination.

     

    The agency that governs elevators in Alberta says the elevator is stuck in the same position it was in when it broke in July.

     

    The Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Ride Safety Association says the car is held up in an area of the elevator shaft that is not easily accessible.

     

    Aspen Properties' website says 300,000 people visit the 190-metre tower each year, paying for tickets, visiting the two restaurants and testing their courage on the glass floor.

     

    It took firefighters four hours to rescue the eight people trapped inside the elevator when a cable broke July 12 and the car stopped about 12 storeys up.

     

    Rescuers using a harness pulled passengers out of the disabled lift and lowered them to the ground.

     

    Patrons in the restaurant at the top of the tower walked down the stairs or were carried by firefighters.

    No one was injured.

     

    The Calgary Tower was built to celebrate Canada's centennial anniversary in 1967. It was completed in 1968. (CTV Calgary)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Feds Sign Historic Self-government Agreements With Three Metis Nations

    OTTAWA — The federal government has signed historic self-government agreements with the Metis nations of Alberta, Ontario and Saskatchewan.

    Feds Sign Historic Self-government Agreements With Three Metis Nations

    Canada Urged To Take International Legal Action On Rohingya Genocide

    OTTAWA — The Trudeau government is facing mounting pressure from across the country to take more international action to hold Myanmar to account for the genocide of the Rohingya people.    

    Canada Urged To Take International Legal Action On Rohingya Genocide

    Provinces, Feds Meet To Find Path To Better Plastics-Recycling Plan

    OTTAWA — The federal government and the provinces are expected to announce plans to work on harmonizing recycling standards following a meeting of environment ministers in Halifax today.    

    Provinces, Feds Meet To Find Path To Better Plastics-Recycling Plan

    Poll Suggests Canadians Could Learn More About Quirky Bits Of Country's History

    Poll Suggests Canadians Could Learn More About Quirky Bits Of Country's History
    TORONTO — A new poll suggests Canadians haven't made much progress in expanding their knowledge of the more colourful parts of the country's history.

    Poll Suggests Canadians Could Learn More About Quirky Bits Of Country's History

    SNC-Lavalin Opts For Corruption Trial Before Judge Alone

    SNC-Lavalin Opts For Corruption Trial Before Judge Alone
    Lawyers representing SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. have opted for trial by judge alone in a corruption case that has loomed over the Montreal-based engineering giant.    

    SNC-Lavalin Opts For Corruption Trial Before Judge Alone

    'An Awesome Feeling': Paralyzed Humboldt Broncos Player Ryan Straschnitzki Inks Deal With Adidas

    AIRDRIE, Alta. — A Humboldt Broncos hockey player who was paralyzed in a deadly bus crash last year has signed a multi-year contract with Adidas.

    'An Awesome Feeling': Paralyzed Humboldt Broncos Player Ryan Straschnitzki Inks Deal With Adidas