Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Landmark Calgary Tower Still Closed Seven Weeks After Elevator Scare

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Aug, 2019 07:58 PM

    CALGARY - One of Calgary's most recognizable landmarks remains closed seven weeks after an elevator with eight people on board plunged several floors.

     

    Aspen Properties, owner of the Calgary Tower, says it doesn't have an update on repairs to the elevator at the popular tourist destination.

     

    The agency that governs elevators in Alberta says the elevator is stuck in the same position it was in when it broke in July.

     

    The Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Ride Safety Association says the car is held up in an area of the elevator shaft that is not easily accessible.

     

    Aspen Properties' website says 300,000 people visit the 190-metre tower each year, paying for tickets, visiting the two restaurants and testing their courage on the glass floor.

     

    It took firefighters four hours to rescue the eight people trapped inside the elevator when a cable broke July 12 and the car stopped about 12 storeys up.

     

    Rescuers using a harness pulled passengers out of the disabled lift and lowered them to the ground.

     

    Patrons in the restaurant at the top of the tower walked down the stairs or were carried by firefighters.

    No one was injured.

     

    The Calgary Tower was built to celebrate Canada's centennial anniversary in 1967. It was completed in 1968. (CTV Calgary)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Adds $1.46 Million To Offset Costs For Athletes At 2020 Indigenous Games

    B.C. Adds $1.46 Million To Offset Costs For Athletes At 2020 Indigenous Games
    VICTORIA — Premier John Horgan shot some hoops in the basketball court at the Songhees Wellness Centre shortly after talking about the power of sports to improve lives and build nations.    

    B.C. Adds $1.46 Million To Offset Costs For Athletes At 2020 Indigenous Games

    Toronto Defends How Sick Baby Was Helped At Raptors Parade, Infant Later Died

    Toronto Defends How Sick Baby Was Helped At Raptors Parade, Infant Later Died
    TORONTO — The City of Toronto is defending how police and paramedics dealt with a sick baby in the massive crowd that turned out for the Raptors NBA championship victory parade earlier this month.

    Toronto Defends How Sick Baby Was Helped At Raptors Parade, Infant Later Died

    Canada Has 'Broad International Coalition' Of Support On China File: Freeland

    Freeland, who spoke to reporters alongside her cabinet colleague Finance Minister Bill Morneau, said China has been hearing about the detention of two Canadians from a range of countries, adding that efforts continue here at the summit.

    Canada Has 'Broad International Coalition' Of Support On China File: Freeland

    Supreme Court To Rule On Use Of Sexual History In Edmonton Assault Trial

    Supreme Court To Rule On Use Of Sexual History In Edmonton Assault Trial
    OTTAWA — A Supreme Court decision due this morning could clarify the law on how much of the history between a complainant and a person accused in a sexual-assault case can be brought into court.    

    Supreme Court To Rule On Use Of Sexual History In Edmonton Assault Trial

    Canada Puts Its Faith In Trump In High-stakes Meeting Between U.S., China

    Canada is pinning hopes for freedom for two Canadians detained in China since December on a meeting Donald Trump is to have with China's Xi Jinping tomorrow.

    Canada Puts Its Faith In Trump In High-stakes Meeting Between U.S., China

    Supreme Court Tells Judges To Take Care, Be Clear On Use Of 'Rape-shield' Law

    Supreme Court Tells Judges To Take Care, Be Clear On Use Of 'Rape-shield' Law
    OTTAWA — Canada's top court has issued a stern warning about allowing evidence of past sexual history in sex-assault trials, telling judges to be strict with jurors on how such details can be used.

    Supreme Court Tells Judges To Take Care, Be Clear On Use Of 'Rape-shield' Law