Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Merchandise theft at Metrotown

Merchandise theft at Metrotown
Police say a 41-year-old man is accused of stealing more than 56-thousand dollars of merchandise from Burnaby's Metrotown shopping centre. R-C-M-P say the man was identified as a suspect through video surveillance after thefts from a single store between September 8th and 17th.

Merchandise theft at Metrotown

Man who steals police vehicle denied bail

Man who steals police vehicle denied bail
The man accused of stealing a Vancouver police vehicle and using it to do doughnuts on a local sports field has been denied bail. The man was arrested on October 6th, when he allegedly stole a police S-U-V and took it for a joyride on a grass field at a park in East Vancouver. 

Man who steals police vehicle denied bail

Police watchdog called after fatal shooting in Penticton

Police watchdog called after fatal shooting in Penticton
Mounties in British Columbia's southern Interior say they've notified the provincial police watchdog after a confrontation that left one man dead and an officer injured. Penticton RCMP say they received multiple 911 calls Tuesday reporting a man acting erratically and allegedly waving a knife. 

Police watchdog called after fatal shooting in Penticton

Quick Quotes: What Liberal MPs have to say as the caucus debates Trudeau's future

Quick Quotes: What Liberal MPs have to say as the caucus debates Trudeau's future
"There's a — what would you call it? Some palace drama going on right now. And that takes us away from the number 1 job, which is focusing on Canadians and focusing on the important policies but also on showing the really clear contrast between our government, our party and Pierre Poilievre."

Quick Quotes: What Liberal MPs have to say as the caucus debates Trudeau's future

BoC delivers half percentage point rate cut to 3.75 per cent

BoC delivers half percentage point rate cut to 3.75 per cent
The Bank of Canada delivered a supersized interest rate cut Wednesday in response to the recent decline in inflation, bringing its key policy rate down by half a percentage point to 3.75 per cent. With annual price growth now around two per cent, the central bank says its job has shifted from lowering inflation to maintaining it around the inflation target.

BoC delivers half percentage point rate cut to 3.75 per cent

Youth stabbed at a Port Coquitlam Secondary School

Youth stabbed at a Port Coquitlam Secondary School
Police in Coquitlam are looking for witnesses after a youth was stabbed and suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Mounties say the attack happened yesterday afternoon just before 3 p-m when officers responded to a report at Terry Fox Park in Port Coquitlam.

Youth stabbed at a Port Coquitlam Secondary School